Chapter 18

The museum was almost deserted. Our shoes echoed on the linoleum like javelins in a courtroom. The place was huge, and except for the random security guard here and there, it felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. My hands were shoved down deep into my pockets as I craned my head back to gaze upon the art that hung on the large elegant walls.

"No! Wrong, wrong, wrong!" The Doctor stopped in front of a painting with his hands on his hips like a sassy high school cheerleader. "They've got that whole thing completely wrong! I was there." he pointed at himself "I would know."

I stood next to the Doctor and stared at the painting. It was a painting of a battle scene that appeared to be in the middle ages based upon the armor the soldiers wore and the tapestry that was hung as flags in the middle of the battlefield. "Whats so wrong about it?"

"They forgot the unicorns!" he held his hand up to the painting as if the lack of mythical creatures was obvious. I raised my eyebrow and then shrugged. The Doctor lived in his own little, no make that huge, world. If he says he was in a battle with unicorns in it, who was I to say he was wrong. I got the mental image of the Doctor riding upon a large pink horned horse that was rearing up to the sky with a trail of sparkles and rainbows following behind them as they charged into battle. I shook my head. As humorous as the scene was, I wasn't really in the mood for it.

The silence that lingered in the air as we walked through the rest of the museum was music to my ears. I hadn't been in such a peaceful silence in a long time. There was usually the purr of the TARDIS or the sounds of aliens chasing after me that rung in my ears. I drank it all in before it was taken from me.

"Adam! Come look at this here!"

I walked up to a display holding an old piece of pottery. I looked at the designs painted on the sides and recognized them as the Greek style of painting I had seen way back in the beginning of my travels. I looked at the paintings closer, remembering that the pottery I had seen all that time ago told stories. I was curious as to what this one told. I couldn't really make out what they were trying to tell me. I saw a woman with very wild hair (she reminded me of River) and two random guys.

"This vase came from a city in ancient Greece." The Doctor read from a placard. "It is dated to be around the time when the country was supposedly plagued by a murderous monster whom they called Medusa."

"Stop." I said stepping away from the display case. The Doctor stopped reading and looked at me with a look of pure delight on his face.

"We're on a vase! How cool is that!" he looked at the vase a little closer. "They got my jaw all wrong, and they made you too buff. Youre more" he looked over at me. "Skinny"

I was too busy having bad memories to even notice the Doctors little insult. There was a bench nearby and I walked over and sat down on it. I put my elbows on my knees and buried my face in my hands. Everytime I closed my eyes I saw images of angels and snake haired women. Although they we.re only memories panic started rising in my chest. The images we.re replaced by those of Cybermen and of a terrrified Clara. I knew they we.re only memories but they brought the emotions that felt all too real.

"Hey, you okay?" The Doctor sat down next to me and placed his hand on my shoulder. I didn't move my head from my hands and stared at the floor. I shook my head. I wasn't okay. All the stress I had been exposed to lately was crashing down on me at once and it was taking all the strength I had just to breathe normally. I had been trying to forget the real emotions I had been feeling since I woke up earlier. The Doctor had been right to be trying to help me relax, although I was trying to hide it he could probably see the fear in my eyes. After what he had told me, about the TARDIS being attracted to my time stream, I was terrified. I tried to tell myself I wasn't, but I knew better.