The Truth Comes Out (and Everyone Wants to Kill the Man-Child)

Ari's POV

It didn't take long for me to realize that the bulk of the Akatsuki weren't at this particular base (wherever that was). We were stuck with Pain and Konan (who most likely wouldn't be around all that much cause they had shit to do), Kisame and Hidan (both without their partners for Kami knew why) and Sasori and Deidera. Heh. SasoDei would become a reality if I had anything to say about it.

And there was a lot I had to say about it.

Course, that'd be kinda mean to Scar, seeing as how she hadn't even chosen who her emo redhead prince would be. But if her true love was indeed gay (one of my rather strong suspicions) then she would just have to deal with it and ride off into the sunset with the other one.

This may come as a shock to you, but Scarlette smacked me upside the head each and every time I brought this up to the other members of the Akatsuki.

Their individual reactions varied.

Kisame laughed and said he'd pay me a hundred bucks if I could get Sasori and Deidera to kiss.

Hidan growled at me and threatened to sacrifice my ass to Jashin if I didn't get the f*ck away from him.

Deidera turned as red as Scarlette's namesake before whipping out one of his clay toys and detonating it. In the cloud of smoke and debris that occurred as a result, Deidera mysteriously disappeared.

Konan, whom I saw just before she and Yahi-- I mean Pain left for a mission, cracked a faint smile. She left without saying anything else.

I was too afraid to ask Pain. I thought he might kill me and make me one of his Six Paths or whatever. Or force me to clean. I'm not sure which woulda been worse.

And finally, the one I'm sure you've all been waiting for..... Sasori. He glared at me for a full five minutes. Then he sighed and locked me in a closet. I'm not even kidding. He locked me in a closet. Of all the places he coulda put me and all the things he coulda done, he chose death by fumes from expired poisons while trapped in a broom closet.

I was a bit disappointed.

Scar found me an hour later when Sasori suggested she bring him his out-of-date concoctions. By suggested I mean threatened her with quite the painful death if she refused to comply. When she tugged open the door and I came spilling out, breathing in fresh-ish oxygen like I was paid to do it, she turned around, pinched the bridge of her nose, and sighed, "Was this absolutely necessary?"

And Sasori replied with, "I found it necessary at the time."

"Sadly, I believe you."

Scar then unceremoniously kicked my ass (not hard, but not like she was trying to be gentle either). "Up, Ari," she ordered. Ooh, she had her "We're in public, feign normalcy" switch flipped. "You've breathed in worse than this when you blew up the chemistry lab last year." Her voice was soft, but I had the eerie sensation that Sasori could hear us.

"Yeah, yeah," I muttered, dragging myself into a sitting position. I rubbed at my throat, offering a few coughs in hopes of getting some much-deserved pity; but nope, Scar just spun on her heel, grabbed the poisons Sasori had told her to get, and shoved them into the puppet-man's hands. She threw me a last warning look before stalking from the room.

Sasori took one look at the poison he held, then set the jars down on the closest table. Some icky green liquid dripped down the side and splashed onto the wood; it burned a whole clean through, continued on to the floor, burned another hole and kept going.

"Whoa!" I cheered, scrambling over to the still-smoking hole. I started laughing when I realized how many underground floors that shit would have to go through before it hit the middle of the freaking earth!

I was exaggerating. Sue me.

"Why is it you two brats are so different?"

"Hmm?" I looked up at Sasori. He leaned back against the smoking table, arms folded across his chest. His child-like brown eyes sparked with honest curiousity. I felt myself grinning like a fool. So he wanted to know about my somewhat sane sissy did he? Oh how Violet would have loved this. "What'd ya mean, Sasori-danna?" I asked innocently.

His eyes narrowed. "You two couldn't be more different than even my and the brat's views on art."

Snickering, I bobbed my head in agreement. Watching them bicker had become my replacement for TV. "Alright," I said when I caught my breath. "I won't deny we're different. Scar's the calm one in our family. She also keeps a tight lid on her emotions, except when she's annoyed. Like just now! And I dunno why we're different, cause I'm a lot like Vi--"

"I don't ever wish to meet her."

"--but we are," I finished. Obviously, I was ignoring his jab at Violet, or I would have stuck a kunai into his "special spot" to see if the rumors were true. Oh. That reminded me. "Hey, Sasori-danna?"

Cue the irriatated sigh. "What is it?"

"How do you take potty breaks?"

That was how I ended up being thrown (literally) from Sasori's room, skidded into the kitchen, and promptly fell on my ass.

"Ow!" I yowled, teeth clamping shut a moment later. Nearly bit off my damn tongue...

The room I landed in was empty apart from Scar. She sat in the corner, hidden in shadows, hugging her knees. Her hair was loose from its usually ponytail and hung limply around her shoulders. Her bangs, which had grown a lot in the short amount of time we'd been in this world, covered her face from view.

But I caught the muffled sniffling.

"Scar?"

She raised her head, eyes wide like a damn deer caught in the headlights. Her cheeks were rosy and raw, her eyes slightly bloodshot from crying. Tears slipped from her eyes.

It'd been a week, and she hadn't stopped crying.

"Scar, I...." I didn't know what to say. My playful, excited mood dissipated instantly, replaced with something a lot heavier, darker. Rage, pure, unbridled rage. That's what I was feeling right then. How dare they make my sister cry?!

"This isn't..." Scar, too, seemed like she couldn't figure out which words sounded right in this situation. She shook her head and wiped the back of her sleeve under her nose and across her cheeks. She only looked slightly less pathetic. "I'm sorry, Ari," she said quietly, voice tight. "I didn't mean for you to see me like this."

"To hell with my feelings, Scarlette!" I exclaimed. She jumped. "I don't exactly give a damn right now how I'm feeling. So do me a favor and quit it! You don't have to act tough for me! I don't need your stupid false reassurance!"

She blinked slowly and pulled her knees tighter to her chest.

I took a ragged breath, settling my nerves. Exploding isn't exactly fun. Not really sure why DeiDei seemed so fond of it, but whatever.