From Fangirls to Ambassadors

Scarlette's POV

Smoke-like mist curled off the writhing water, joining the white mass that hovered mere inches above the undulating waves. Visibilty was near-zero, save for slivers of gray light that cowered among the misty fangs in the gaping maw of the sky. Our ship, large enough to make the five of us - including our captain - comfortable, even under the unsettling conditions, held surprisingly steady. We bobbed in the water, lifting and falling with the heartbeat of the beast sleeping in the depths below.

So I'd returned to the ocean at last, it seemed. 

Hibiki Sensei had surprised us yesterday, explaining so care-freely the momentus task he'd set before us. Our mission (here, Ari would like me to make some spy reference I'm absolutely loathe to comply with) was to accompany Sensei on a pilgrimage of peace to the Village Hidden in the Mist, where we would meet with the Mizukage and discuss a possible alliance for future security. It was a mission, he said, to give us precious experience in the politics of Shinobi and the aspects of the guarding that came with them. 

I stared out at the presently-calm ocean, elbows propped up on the metal railing keeping me from plunging into the icy water. Shades of gray and milky, translucent white. No colors bled through the veil that seemed to encompass our tiny universe we'd been thrust into. 

Ari and Violet were chattering excitedly somewhere behind me, anticipating what our meeting with the Mizukage would be like. I wasn't anxious per say; but the meeting seemed troublesome. I wasn't sure how long Mei Terumi had been Mizukage, and I wasn't sure just how the Mist Village had changed since the days of Yagura's Blood Mist Village.

It felt suspicious to ask Sensei about another Village's Kage, at least, such knowledgeable questions. Being "foreigners" we weren't supposed to know things about other Kages' reigns. So we were, essentially, walking in blind. Not to say we were unprepared. Hibiki Sensei was guiding us, after all. I could only hope he proved to be capable in times of crisis, if the need arose.

The boat ride was uneventful, much to Ari's dismay. She was eager for Ninja to fly from the water and engage us in a hot-blooded battle. 

No such thing occurred, or was likely to occur.

So she and Violet found ways to pass the time that didn't disturb the other passengers or myself--

No. I can't even write that without feeling the need to be violently ill. In truth, they were obstrusive and loud and distracting, like any other moment of their lives. 

I watched through slitted eyes as they jumped the railing and swam through the fog, feet splashing only lightly on the water's surface, their glimmering chakra casting faint shadows over the waves. That same chakra allowed me to keep track of them as they chased one another through the white, their shrieking laughter deadened and ominously mundane. 

I almost wanted to join them, but the sensible voice (modeled after Aunt and Uncle and their severely Christian ways) warned me falling in with my sisters' behavior could be detrimental to the health of us all. My feet remained on deck, though pushed on my toes, perched as though ready to fly at any moment.

Ari and Violet eventually returned to the ship, in a flurry of limbs and chilled water and smokey mist that wreathed around them like demonic auras. They claimed, between intakes and exhales of precious, precious oxygen, that some monstrous thing was out there, ready to snare us in its merciless tendrils. I didn't bother trying to calm them down; it would have been a wasted effort. Instead, I simply pointed, and their heads snapped instinctively in that direction.

Out of the mist walked a lanky figure, something cradled in their hands. Ari's jaw dropped and Violet squealed in relief. Hibiki Sensei leapt lightly up onto the railing and crouched down, his hand outstretched towards Ari. "I went looking for you two!" he frowned, waggling the finger of his free head sternly. "We're technically in enemy waters, since the treaty hasn't been signed yet. I love you girls, but I won't take this from you on such an important mission. Value your lives more. Oh and Ari?" His usual vibrant closed-eye smile replaced the flinty expression. "You dropped this."