Sharp Mind VS. Sharp Weapon of Death

Scarlette's POV

I urged Violet forward, a rough hand shoving at the small of her back to keep her from retreating round to where we'd last seen Ari. Our boiterous sister was gone, chased away by the third member of the enemy trio. I forced my mind to keep away from the blunt fact of her absence; I had to keep Violet and myself alive.

It was obvious why they were after us. Iwagakure couldn't stand Kirigakure making allies. They'd chased them away once before and had never been on good terms with them in first place. I'd done my research while Mei and Hibiki had been beginning talks of peace between our two Villages, as the Mizukage had allowed me to peek at the documents lying across her desk, open and welcoming. She clearly trusted us; or trusted her ANBU enough to deal with us should we be openly aggresive towards her.

Of course, now was not the time to think about any of that, trivial as it was at the moment. I had two Ninja on my tail, and though from the lack of masks I could tell they weren't Iwa ANBU, I doubted they were lowly Chunin on a mission so vital.

Violet and I took to the trees in a futile attempt to lose our persistent tail; the branches barely quivered as their strides brushed over them, but it was audible enough for me to notice. The fact that they didn't bother concealing their chakra anymore bothered me to an extent; did they not care if Kiri Ninja took notice of them?

I cursed as a kunai thunked into the trunk just inches from my face. Without turning around, using my "vision" of their chakra signatures as a guide, I retaliated by whipping two kunai behind me. I knew they'd missed their mark when Vi shot me a worried glance. We had to think of something more concrete if we wanted to escape this.

"Wind Style: Air Bullets!"

Vi and simultaneously dodged to the sides as the blasts of concentrated chakra-infused air roared past us, carving decimating chunks from unfortunate trees. I clung to an undamaged tree, peering through the flutter of fallen leaves at our opponents. They'd paused, half-crouched, on a hefty branch high above the ground. Back to back they watched both myself and Violet, only twenty feet away on her tree, though she was upside-down on the gnarled limp, her champagne-blonde hair hanging like a tossed veil around her.

I caught Vi's eye and motioned her forward; after a pause her eyes brightened and she swung right-side-up and leapt for another branch, getting further and further away with every heartbeat.

Before her wannabe pursuers could follow, I was dropping from my perch, hands moving in blurs to form Signs I'd been perfecting since the encounter with Suki so long ago. The world hadn't changed, but my perception of it had. Hopefully those two remained unawares for a while longer.

I landed gracefully just a few feet in front of them, my glinting eyes narrowed as they fickered between the two stoic men. The one sporting a wicked-looking katana smirked at me. "What's a little brat like you doing here?" he sneered, leaning forwards as though he meant to lunge; I wasn't fooled and only coiled my muscles in preparation for a speedy dodge. "You run away from Mommy too soon, hm?"

"I'm here representing the Village Hidden in the Sand, a nobler system of Shinobi than that of your cowardly Village," I replied coldly. His eye twitched, tense mucles pulling taut as anger coursed through him. A Ninja shouldn't let his emotions dictate his actions; just another tribute to how low Iwagakure's standards were.

"You bitch!" The katana-wielder's face contorted in anger, managing to become even more repulsive than I already thought him to be. His ugliness was just beneath the surface and now, I suppose, one could see it on the outside as well. He kicked off from his branch, sending it dipping wildly, streams of excess chakra quickly dissipating in his wake.