Chapter 7- Are They Really Just Rumors?

After I had left Grayson, I kept thinking. Now that I know his name, It seems more normal talking to him. He is still human, and I still hate humans. don't forget it. But i felt drawn to him, and I haven't had this feeling before. Thats because I haven't spent time with humans since before the grim time. Right. I make my way to my room, and walk into my huge walk-in closet filled with custom dresses. I find an extra blanket and pillow cases. I never used them before. Should I bring these to Grayson? I will, and he will have to ask me nicely for them. No sarcastic comments. i will tell him that in return for this gift, he will have to treat me like the Queen I am.

Once I have gathered all the items, I decide to go again quickly to give these to him. On my way, I run into Aaron again. He also lives in the palace, by the way. So yes, he lives here, and that is why I run into him so often.

"What are you doing?" He asks, looking at the blanket I am holding.

"Carrying blankets, as you can see. What about you?" I ask. I'm sure not to give off too much information on what I am doing.

"Oh, I was on my way to talk to you, actually. There is something we need to discuss." I sigh.

"Can't it wait, Aaron? I am busy. Is it urgent?"

"Uh, no..."

"Okay then. I will see you later."

Once I reach Grayson's cell, I open it and see him lying down.

"Stand up." I command. Nothing happens. Surely he can't be dead? He hadn't even been drained yet! not once! are we too late? Did he die of starvation? What did I do? Its not like I can ask him if he is dead. But then i realize something. The faint rise and fall of his chest. He isn't dead! I drop the blankets and pillows and go to the other side of the cell to look at his face. Now I remember, humans sleep. How could I have forgotten?

He looks so peaceful, and innocent while sleeping. It almost makes me forget how ruthless his species has been to me. How they killed my family. Almost, but not completely.

I shake my head. I'm changing, and not in a good way. Not a good way at all. I can't become soft to humans. And I won't. I turn around to leave. I take one last glance at him and realize he is slightly shivering. It is cold down here, and the cement walls don't help. I pick up one of the blankets an drape it over him. It will keep him healthy, I tell myself. I leave the place without a second glance.

When I'm about to enter my palace, I hear my name.

"Lilith! Lilith, Its me! Arianna." I turn around to see Arianna, Aaron's sister, speed walk up to me. she is holding bags, like she was on her way home from shopping when she saw me.

"I need to tell you something!" She is slightly out of breath.

"What is it?" I ask, bored.

"The vampires are spreading rumours-" She looks pretty uneasy. And now she has my full attention.

"WHAT?" I say this a bit too loud, as everyone near us turn around to look. Arianna blinks and flinches back.

"Come with me," I say. i head into the palace and go into an empty room.

"I-Its not my fault!" she tells me nervously.

"I might believe you. Now, what are these rumours you are hearing?"

"Well, Lucinda told me that Roselyn told her that she heard

Kingston telling Charley that Merida heard-"

"Arianna! I get it! Just tell me what they said." I shake my head, that made no sense.

"R-right. Everyone has been noticing how often you have been visiting the humans and think that something is going on..." She is avoiding eye contact with me. but thats normal, I do look like I want to kill someone.