Chapter 1

"Mum!" Harry called in the direction he knew the door was in but there's no answer. "Mum! I need help!" He called again and only a few seconds passed until he heard the hurried footsteps of his mother come into his bedroom. "What's wrong?!" She said in a panic, seeing Harry sitting on the edge of his bed. "I'm okay I just can't find my cane." She sighed in relief, thinking her son had fallen and hurt himself. Anne bent down and picked up Harry's walking cane before placing it in his hands.

Harry relaxed a little, now having his version of eyes in his hands. He snapped open the cane, the red tip clicking into place at the end before standing up. "You know," His mum sassed, "If you actually made an effort to put the cane on the nightstand instead of tossing it onto the ground you would be able to find it easier in the mornings."

Harry knew she was joking so he just offered her a small laugh before heading into the bathroom to get ready. He heard his mum making her way back down the stairs, smelling the mouthwatering sent of the bacon she was cooking. One good thing about being blind is the fact that Harry's other senses were heightened.

Today was the first day of a new school and Harry couldn't be more nervous. This will be his third school in two years, having been teased out of his pervious schools. Being born blind was something that other students found acceptable to mock. This time though, Harry is determined to go as long as he can without anyone finding out. It seems impossible, but when you're determined enough to do something you can find a way. This was their last year of school though, he just might do it.

After getting out of the shower Harry ran his hands over the counter until he found what he was looking for; toothpaste and his toothbrush. He knew the mirror was right in front of him but obviously couldn't see himself. He always wondered if he was good looking or not. Harry didn't really dwell on it though, he didn't care how he looked, he was only curious. He did know he had curly hair though and he liked that about himself. His mum tells him his curls are dark brown and he has bright green eyes, even though he doesn't know what brown or green is.

Picking out clothes to wear is quite simple. He just feels for any pair of jeans and any shirt, hoping it matches. His mum always tells him if it doesn't though. 'Matching' clothes still doesn't make sense to him. How can two things not match? Harry guesses it had to do with colours again. Colours must be weird if two of them might not look good together. Harry chuckles to himself at the odd debate he's having in his head.

*

Harry looks out the window as his mum drives him to school, just to feel the breeze on his face. His mum was going over instructions as she droves, things she's been telling him for the past week now. "I'm going to walk you to the main office so you can meet the principle. He already knows about your condition and he said he's going to get a staff member to show you around." "Okay." Harry says softly, more wondering what trees looked like. He doesn't care if the teachers knew about him being blind, it was more his schoolmates he was worried about.

When the car stopped Harry waited a moment before getting out, not sure if they were really there or just at a red light. Anne stopped his wondering when she opened the door saying, "We're here love." Harry nodded before stepping out of the car, waiting for his mum to grab him arm to being walking him inside. He told her he 'forgot' his cane at home but really left it there on purpose. If he was to try and convince people he was normal then he shouldn't be relying on a cane meant for the blind.

The halls were quite, something Harry wasn't expecting. The school has been in term for a few weeks now, where were the bustling teenagers panicking of late homework or complaining that their maths teacher was a wanker? "Where is everyone?" He asked once they came to a stop. "The first classes of the day don't start for another twenty minute. I wanted to get here nearly to make sure you had plenty of time to meet the principle." Harry nodded in understand meant.