Chapter Twenty Three

Okay guys, just so you know, this will be the last chapter I post before I go on vacation. If I have time and WiFi, I'll upload every now and then, but for now, I have no idea what the mountain resort's going to be like. I spent a lot of time on the chapter, and I think you'd like the way it turned out(; It's pretty cute and longer than Chapter Twenty Two. This chapter is also a bit of a building chapter to the next two or three(;  ALSO: I have TWO MAJOR surprises planned, and I don't think any of you will guess it. ;P So stay tuned and get reading!

---

Sunday morning, I kept myself occupied by formulating documents for work after waking. I was interrupted frequently by phone calls, the first from Marshall. He phoned to verify our date in the evening, and I confirmed. The next was from Luna, who had picked up some gossip about Dev concerning me, and she gabbed about it. I only took in half the information as I worked, and tried to ignore the fact that the mere mention of Dev brought unhappy chills to my body. I bid her good-bye after I decided to take a break, and she wished me a good time later on with Marshall.

I took a short nap out of boredom, and hopped into the shower after I woke. Mid-shower, I heard the sound of my phone receiving an incoming call. Neglecting the call, I continued washing myself, but as the buzzing continued, my irritation boiled. Finally, I wrapped my dripping body in a nearby towel and padded out to fetch my phone.

The last thing I expected to see was about twelve or so missed calls from Malik. Puzzled, I held the phone in my damp hand, pondering over my options of what I could do. I hadn't made up my mind as yet another incoming call was made, and annoyed, my finger snapped on the 'talk' button.

"What is it, Malik?"

"You're dating Eminem?!" was the first thing he exclaimed.

"Um. Yes..."

"Holy shit...is that the guy you were talking about?"

"Yeah...but how do you know?"

"It's fucking everywhere in the tabloids!" he exploded, and I was left to figure out whether it was of fury or hurried excitement. "How did this happen?"

"I guess it just happened," I sighed mellowly, scrunching my soaking hair and compressing the excess water out and onto the towel.

"Holy shit...that's why you didn't want to get back together?"

"What do you mean?" Instantly, my eyebrows shot together suspiciously.

"'Cause you were involved with another dude. That's why you didn't want to get back together, right?"

I felt like slapping some sense into him. His ignorance had led him to believe that I still wanted something with him, despite me being the one who had ended the relationship and rejected his offer a few weeks ago. He had enveloped and consoled himself with incorrect facts.

"Malik, stop," I said harshly, even though I tried to contain myself. "This isn't about me and you anymore. At one point, it was, but not anymore. I'm happy the way I am right now with him, and I'm not looking for any other guy. And honestly, I'd hella appreciate it if you didn't make it so hard for the both of us."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that I...I don't want to be involved with you again. We had something, and it ended. You need to find someone new."

He was speechless. And then, to my outrage, I heard a sudden click. He'd fucking hung up on me after he hauled me out of the shower to settle a matter both of us knew, but he refused to accept. I was furious, but at the same time, more so baffled. After Marshall and I had become a couple, it seemed the men who'd been harboring their feelings for me professed, and things never ended well, because so far, Dev and Malik had both stormed off immaturely.