Chapter Twenty Four

Hi everyone! A belated Merry Christmas to you who celebrate, and happy holidays to those who don't, whatever floats your boat(: A belated happy birthday to Hailie Jade Scott, who turned 16 this Christmas too! This chapter has been highly anticipated, and it took me a while, because I've been so busy on vacation, but TA-DA! Here it is. I'm not going to make you wait any longer but make sure you read the author's note at the end!

---

'Come over today after work. :) I want your company.'

I recieved that text from Marshall as I left work Monday afternoon, and at a lack of better plans, I headed on over.

The security guard, whose name I recalled to be Joe, grudgingly allowed me in, now that he had become familiar with me and my reason to visit. Rapping on the door, I awaited someone to let me in.

Pittering footsteps sounded across the hardwood floors, and the door was opened by Whitney, pencil in hand.

"Dri!" she giggled, slinging her arms around my waist. I hugged her back, and patted her back, smoothing her wisp-like, fly-away strands of hair.

"Hey, Whitney."

"What are you doing here?" she interrogated.

"Your daddy wanted me to come visit you guys. Where's Hailie and Alaina?"

"Laney's in the shower. And Hailie is doing her homework. I'm doing my homework too. Look, Dri!" Gesturing to the kitchen counter, beaming, I viewed the little working station she'd set up, complete with a hastily pulled high stool, school papers, and various pens and pencils.

"That's great, Whitney. You're doing your homework by yourself."

"Daddy likes to help me with my homework, but don't tell him okay? It's going to be a surprise, okay?"

"Alright," I chuckled. "I won't. Do you need any help?"

"No," she protested independantly. "I can do it myself."

I ruffled her small head, and smiled in a motherly manner. "Okay, honey. Do you know where Daddy is?"

"He's upstairs. Probably in his room." She scrambled over to the stool, and hoisted herself up with some difficulty. Pencil gripped in her hand, she began scrawling down words onto her sheets of paper. Deciding not to burden her longer, I gave her one last amused glance and began acending the stairs.

The sounds of an active football game were muffled by his double doors, and I tapped cautiously on one of them, so not to disturb him. Peering inside, I viewed him flick the television off, and limp lumberingly to allow me in.

"Hey, Dri." He kissed me as a welcome, and took me into his loving arms. I pressed my lips back against his and let my heart whirl with joy.

"Hey. Why are you limping, love?"

"An old injury." He shook his shoulders carelessly, but I could read the pain directly in his misty eyes.

"Don't get out of bed," I reprimanded. "Come here, let me help you." I urged him to put his weight on me, and even though he refused, I transferred his slight pressure on the wounded limb to me, escorting him to the bed. He gave a low chuckle, and moved his body up onto the mattress and covers.

"Thank you."

"No problem." Grinning, I seated myself on the edge of the bed, but Marshall patted the area next to him, motioning to me.

"How was work?"

"It was pretty normal. Nothing new."

"Normal is good. And um...how's everything with that one dude? He's not bothering you, is he?" He cleared his throat authoratively.