Chapter Forty Three

Hello and welcome to Chapter Forty Three! I decided to give all you Marshall minions a lovely treat; this entire chapter will be in Marshall's POV(: I hope you enjoy the little switch-up and remember two things: the chapter picks up from where it left off and the author's note at the end awaits you(;

---

Dri left eventually Wednesday night, after a long game of truth is, more time spent with the girls, and a small, quick dinner. She said she had to go because she was going to try to go in for work earlier tomorrow so she could earn more money, and after her good-bye's and a good night kiss, she was gone. That night, I watched her climb into her car, switch on the heater, adjust her car seat, and then drive off down the driveway. I stood like that for a while, until Whitney called to me from the kitchen saying she couldn't reach a water glass.

Even though Dri was gone, she was still in the back of my mind as I went through the girls' nightly routines and ended the night by crawling into my bed alone. The entire house was pitch dark, and the room was frigid. I curled up in my tangled sheets, facing the balcony, and watched the moon rise and fall as hours passed. There was just so much shit on my mind.

I turned on my side, and focused on the deserted pillow beside my head, imagining her sleeping body laid out next to me. She would be wearing an over-sized t-shirt of mine as always, and since the weather was getting colder, I would lend her long pajama bottoms. Her hair would be dark, spread out messily across the sheets, and she would be snoring softly. Whenever she snored, it was a sign that she was fast asleep, and that meant I could watch over her or stroke her hair without thinking that I might wake her up accidentally.

My feelings for her actually embarrassed me sometimes. I'd listen to some of my old shit, just for the fuck of it so I could compare material then and now, and I would think, damn, I can't believe I've changed so much. But pain changes people, and so does sobriety. All that shit helped me open a new chapter in my story, no matter how hard that was, and Dri's a part of it.

But still, I know I could never be this open with the fans. I never have been and I know I could never let them know exactly what I'm thinking or feeling, because once you give the public the opportunity to be inside your mind, they take advantage of it, every time. I'm always going to keep up my cool, calm, outer shell in public, and the only person that knows my heart skips a beat for her will be myself. No one else needs to know about my personal life, her personal life, or the girls' personal life. That's why it's personal. It felt so weird to feel like this, but it's not the bad kind of weird. It's the weird that makes you wonder, what the fuck is wrong with me, but you know it's not the bad kind of wrong. It's the kind of wrong that feels right, but feels wrong at the same time because you've never experienced it.

I'm happy with her. Damn. I really am. Just recently I realized how much I cared about her, but I decided not to let her know, because she might take advantage of that. I know it's unlike her to do something like that, but once you've been fucked over so many times, you're counting the days until someone fucks it up, waiting for it and trying to predict it. She doesn't deserve someone who's waiting for someone to fuck up her relationship, and I wish I could change my mindset about shit like that, but it's like I've been programmed from the past. Everything that's happened to me has taught me a lesson and it's made me cold and unbreakable, but here she is, and she's melted away the ice, bit by bit. I want to be with her, but I'm nervous that this is just too good to be true. I do my best to trust her, because if anything, she is the only woman who deserves my trust that way, but it's not something I can force. It has to come forward by itself, and I want it to, more than almost anything.

I'm still shy with her though. There's a side of me that hasn't come out yet, the more playful side that's eventually starting to come out a little bit more every day. I'm normally so suave in public, but sometimes the way she looks at me makes me choke on my own fucking tongue, and it's incredible. She can say so much without saying a single word. And there's something I can't shake off. She deserves so much. Like me, she didn't get much when she was growing up, but now, I have all I could ever want, and she's still struggling to make it to her dreams. The smallest things make her happy too. I remembered when we had slow danced, those two times, and the way her eyes had lit up in excitement. It was beautiful. I wanted to do more for her. I wanted to show her that despite all the shit we might have to go through because of me, like celebrity bullshit and my emotional issues, and all my touring and recording and just being busy in general, I was worth it, and I would do all I could to make her feel like she was worth it too. I wanted to do new things for her that would make her want to be with me even more than before, and things that would make her happy, before I had to leave on my tour and we would be separated.