Chapter 22.

Delilah's POV

"Delilah? Delilah are you okay?"

"W-what?" I said awakening from my trance.

"You haven't touched your food." My mum replied.

"I'm not hungry."

"That's not like you, are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine I'm just tired." I lied; my stomach was already full, not of food but guilt. "I'm gonna go lie down." I spoke before getting up and leaving my dinner on the table to go cold. I dragged my feet up the stairs before relaxing myself down on my bed. I couldn't even think straight right now; the guilt was eating away at me so much not even music could settle me. I couldn't take it any longer; I had to set this right. I slipped my on my vans and grabbed a jacket before leaving my bedroom again. I dawdled down the stairs; every step I took was a step closer to revealing the truth. I coughed so my mum acknowledged my presence in the kitchen.

"Are you going out?" She said putting down the dirty dish she had in her hands.

"I'm going to see Riley." I replied bluntly.

"Do you need a lift?" She offered.

"Yes please." I wasn't in the mood for a long walk tonight, it was already cold outside, I could tell winter was fast approaching.

"Okay, let me just get my coat." She said rushing off upstairs.

"I'll be in the car." I replied, I don't think she heard me but I wandered off to the car anyway. I unlocked the doors and sat inside the frostbite frozen air which was circling inside the tin can.

"Bit nippy." My mum said as she stepped inside the car, I didn't reply, I continued to gaze out the window until we were out of the drive. "Does Riley know you're coming?"

"No." I sighed.

"What's going on?" She said peering over at my dampened face.

"Nothing." I lied.

"Are you and Riley okay?"

"At the moment." I admitted but I wouldn't know for how much longer.

"Okay, where does he live then?" She said giving up on the whole 20 questions.

"Maine Boulevard." I replied.

"Does he live by himself?"

"Yep."

"Right, Maine Boulevard here we are, now which house?" She asked as the car slowly crawled along the street.

"This one." I said quickly as she braked harshly outside of his house.

"Do you need a ride home?"

"No, I don't know, I'll call." I said as I slammed the door. I watched as she waited for a while then eventually drove off. I walked up the garden path physically shaking. I had been going out with Riley a week and I had already cheated on him. The door was locked and the constant banging I made didn't seem to make an impact on the rest of the house. I dug around under the flower pots on the front step and found a spare key. People really need to stop hiding these in such obvious places. I knew Riley was in, his car was there and there were a few lights on, maybe he just hadn't heard me I thought as I slid the key into the hole. The key turned with ease and the door gently opened. I stepped inside and the nice warm air hit me, but there was also a musky smell, sort of like smoke. I didn't know Riley smoked and it never smelt like this the other day.

"Riley?" I called out as I stood at the bottom of the stairs. There was no reply, or any noise at all. I took a quick look around downstairs and came across nothing apart from leftover food on the counter and a few empty coke cans. I decided to widen my search and trundled up the stairs. I walked along the hallway to his room, checking the other rooms on the way which were all empty. I stood in front of his door and breathed a deep breath and released it again.