8.0

Sorry for the lack of updates. I was on vacation then school sucked then I didn't know how I wanted to write this transition chapter. But the drama will start to pick up which means your homegirl can add even more drama to it!  Regularly scheduled updates SHOULD (read 99% sure) be back! xx

"So since we are back on speaking terms with Bella again," Kate began as she and Jacob lounged around in her room studying for their upcoming finals. Jacob had his feet up on her desk tapping a pencil against his head while Kate lay upside down off the edge of her bed. reading a book.

"Marginally," he muttered flipping a page in his notebook.

"We've been invited to Bella's graduation party."

Jacob snorted, "Really? And why would they want us there? Specifically, why would they want me there?"

Kate rolled over on the bed to look at him, "Since I'm Bella's sister, Alice had to invite me otherwise it would be strange. Besides, all of my friends from school are going so I'd be dragged along either way. Bella wanted you to come, that's why you're invited."

"I'm not going to a house full of leeches, thanks."

"Jacob, I'm going and I want you to come with me."

"How convenient, I'm patrolling that night with Quil and Embry."

Kate bat her eyelashes at him, "Come with me for protection?"

Jacob laughed, "You can protect yourself."

"So let me get this straight, you're going to leave me alone in a house full of vampires who hate me while I am dancing with my friends maybe catching the eye of a boy or two."

Jacob finally looked up at her with a grin on his face, "Babe, if you wanted someone else you would have been able to resist my charm."

"Charm? More like magic that I had no choice in controlling?"

"You saying my flirting skills are magical? Well I appreciate that..."

"Go away," she grumbled as she rolled her eyes and lay back down to continue reading her textbook.

------------------------------------------------

The day of Bella's graduation arrived and as much as Kate tried to protest it, Charlie made her dress up and attend all the while trying to tell her sister not to trip. She was looking forward to seeing her friends graduate but this only solidified the fact that Kate would be all alone next year. The only reason that she went, she kept telling herself, was to see her friends and not that she was proud of her sister for surviving up until this moment.

She sat next to Charlie and watched as all the graduates filed into the hall and she watched as their god awful yellow robes clashed with the blue ribbons hung around the gym. Kate smiled to herself remembering the first day of school when Bella, on this very floor, let her clumsiness introduce them to some friends that Kate would cherish for the rest of her life. She almost laughed at her younger self, 'if only she knew' she thought.

The ceremony proceeded slowly but when it was time for Jessica to get up on the podium to speak to her classmates, Kate sat up a little straighter and smiled at the her to calm her nerves.

"When we were five, they asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up. Our things were answers like astronaut, president, or in my case, princess. When we were ten, they asked us again. We answered: rock star, cowboy, or in my case, gold medalist.But now that we've grown up, they want a more serious answer. Well, how about this... Who the hell knows?"

Kate laughed along with everyone else in the hall and she could see that this gave Jessica a sense of courage to continue with a smile on her face.

"This isn't a time to make hard and fast decisions. This is the time to make mistakes. Take the wrong train and get stuck somewhere. Fall in love... a lot. Major in philosophy because there's no way to make a career out of that. Change your mind. Then change it again because nothing is permanent. So make as many mistakes as you can. That way, someday, when they ask again what we want to be, we won't have to guess. We'll know..."

As the graduates went up to receive their diplomas, Kate clapped politely for each and every one of them until her friends went up then she clapped harder but none of her claps were as loud as the one she gave for her sister. Despite everything that has happened, her sister did it.

After the graduation Charlie walked to his car with one daughter under each arm.

"I'm proud of you Bella. I can't wait to see what you're going to do next," Charlie told her.

From his other side Kate chimed in, "Hopefully go get food so we can eat before the party."

Charlie looked down at his daughter and pinched her shoulder with a smile, "Do you mind?"

"Sorry."

"You girls are my biggest accomplishments," he went on.

Kate stayed silent as she smiled to herself staring at the ground. She wondered if he would be so proud of them if he knew what they had done. Would he still be proud of the supernatural them? Would he still love them?

"Dad, that's not true," Bella muttered to him.

"Well... you'll see one day when you have kids," he replied.