14.0

Kate looked at herself in the mirror the morning of the battle and, there was no word for it, she looked terrible. A deep frown was set on her face as she got ready knowing that somewhere, out in the woods, there were vampires speeding towards them. There were dark circles under her eyes and her hair was starting to slip out of its braid. She had tossed and turned all night worrying over what was to come.

She had nightmares of the battle going south and all her friends being slaughtered, or of her powers failing them when they needed them most. Everyone had been dead and it was her fault, even the Cullens lay before her ripped to pieces. In her dreams, she had to watch as everyone was cut down. Victoria would appear from the trees holding Bella's decapitated head for her to see. Then, and only then, she would be bitten and torn apart by the vampires as Victoria stood above her and watched her bleed out finally exacting her revenge.

Jacob's death was hardest to handle. His whole body had been crushed as blood spilled from his mouth. He would disappear under a pile of vampires and as much as Kate screamed and tried to make her way to him, he seemed to move father and farther away from her as she watched him die right before her eyes.

She woke up with a slight scream at this particular dream not daring to go back to sleep. She sat at the edge of her bed holding her head in her hands trying to calm her breathing until the sunlight began to peak it's way through the curtains. Even now remembering the dream made her feel like she needed to throw up. She wasn't sure if it was her feelings for him giving her pain or the imprint but whatever it was, she didn't like it.

"Kate, sweetheart, you need to eat something before you go," Emily's voice reached her from downstairs.

She took a deep breath and went down to meet the woman. On the table were enough muffins for all of the boys to eat when in fact it was just her. She reached for one, sat down, and begun to pick at it.

Emily sat down next to her, "Sam left early this morning. He and the boys are meeting a few miles away from the clearing and should be there already."

Kate noticed that Emily's hands were shaking ever so slightly. Kate set down the muffin and reached across the table to place her hands over Emily's. The dark haired woman gave her a small grateful smile.

"Sam'll be okay," Kate told her.

Emily gave her hand a small squeeze, "He's not the only one I worry about. This is the first time they've fought vampires. They've only hunted them."

"We'll all be okay. With the Cullens on our side, they don't stand a chance."

"Let's hope so," she muttered.

Kate shook her head and stood up, "I better be going. I probably should already be there by now. I'll see you after, okay?"

She gave Emily a smile before hugging her. Neither of them said anything more before Kate stepped outside. For once, the sun was slightly shining between the clouds but in the far off distance, she could see a storm rolling in from the east. She looked back at Emily's house once more and took off into the forrest.

Kate ran over dirt and fallen trees. With her unnatural speed, the colors of the trees zoomed past her as she ran and she ran. The wind whipped at her face no doubt disheveling her hair even further. She made it to the clearing about ten miles outside of town in five minutes to see the Cullens already there. The stood in a small circle just talking with one another.

"Well, it seems that I missed the coordinated outfit memo," Kate said announcing her presence to the vampires.

They all turned around covered in different shades of black and grey. She stood out like a sore thumb with her green jacket and brown boots.