Lesson Fourteen: Five Finger Discount was a Vital Skill to Have

Chapter Fourteen

"Okay, so did you know mum?" I asked her. Shit was getting serious now. I know Jenny said that she wouldn't tell me anything til my sixteenth birthday but Molly had a huge gob on her and she didn't have nearly the same morals.

Thinking about it actually, if Jenny had the same childhood as us, you know, without as much responsibility, do you reckon she would have turned out like us? I mean, Jenny is no nun and the father of her unborn child is nowhere to be seen but it does beg the question... I liked to think though that out us all it was Jenny and I and Molly and Chloe on the moral levels.

We had managed to calm down, I'd managed to grab a lovely dress to go out in but I was the only successful one. We'd been here twenty-five minutes but I was getting annoyed.

"A bit. She was around every day, putting food on the plates most days herself unless she was working and Jenny and Jason did it. I was only six years old when she disappeared the first time myself." She explained. "Besides, do I even want to know where all of this has come from? You've never been this interested before. All I could get out of you beforehand was a swear word or a scoff at the mention of her."

Screw that, when did Molly care this much? Guilt? Probably. She was leaving us soon. She was my ally against Henry, I couldn't afford to lose her.

"Nothing, just spoke to Jenny yesterday."

"And what? She wouldn't tell you anything so you want me to tell you?"

"Pretty much."

"Okay, what do you want to know?"

"Not much - do you know my dad?"

She nodded her head. "I can tell you anything else but that. I was sworn to death by Jenny about that. All I can tell you is that I know."

I pouted. Well that is no fun. "Please Moll, it isn't fair that you all know stuff and I don't get to! I'm not a kid anymore!"

"I don't know my dad either and I don't know who yours is." Chloe inputted.

"Well obviously, you'd have told me."

"True."

"I don't know a name or anything!" She protested. I glared at her as I found a bench to sit down. Behind us was this fountain that was creating a soothing sound, well it would if it wasn't for the annoying children splashing the water while their mums videoed it. Yeah. Hilarious. Any of them come near me and I'll drown 'em.

There was a ton of coins in there as well but not even we were that poor that we had to resort to stealing that. Besides, from what I can remember, there was six cameras pointing towards the fountain so it wasn't even worth it. Shops had blindspots, this fountain didn't.

"Then how do you know him?"

"I remember a face from when I was a child and he hung around the house. I remember both he and mum disappearing together. Look, it might not even be your dad but I'm convinced he was." She told me. Her eyes were wide but she looked like she was telling the truth.

"What do know of him? Has Jenny ever spoke about him?"

"I've never asked. I've only ever asked Jason and he feigned ignorance. You know what it's like, it is Jenny and Jason versus the rest of us. They know everything and we know nothing."