Lesson Nineteen: The Categories Exist.

Chapter Nineteen

I had written a note and put it under my pillow to remind me about asking Molly about those expensive dresses in her wardrobe and had set off for Holly's.

I had my bag of clothes, my make-up, heels and Kain had just bought my alcohol for me so I was as happy as anyone could be right now.

The bottle of vodka, the bottle of lemonade and the sourz was rattling together in the double-up plastic bags but as long as I avoided the main roads I'd be fine and I was rounding the corner to Holly's house now so I could feel the happiness starting to build up.

She lived at number twelve and as I noticed the street she lived down (Green Street), I kind of felt my stomach sink. Glancing at the first house I noticed it was number one-hundred and twenty-four.

Her house was at the end of the world's longest street. Fuck sake!

I'd come in at the wrong end. She lived on a street that about ten streets and avenues split off from. She was in a nice area but the houses I was currently walking past looked like they weren't that posh. I rarely came down here - in fact I don't think I ever have done - so I didn't know what I was looking for exactly.

I know that there is an entrance at the other end which I will have to Google on Henry's laptop next week to see if there is a quicker way to get there.

I was only at one-hundred and eight now.

Just bloody typical! I have the worst luck in the world.

******

It took me about fifteen minutes just to get to the end of her street. I swear to God, I was making her meet me at the end next time.

Her garden was all paved and didn't have anything too fancy on it. It had a few toys in the front, a bike and some flowers that were obviously dead right now but it was a large house. Not as big as Matt's but it must have at least three bedrooms that were quite large and roomy. It was a terraced house though which made me feel a bit better. Matt's was a detached house that sat on his own and you could see how big it was that way.

Holly's house was obviously made ages ago but had had some work on it.

I knocked on the door, hiding the alcohol behind my back. It was already quite dark outside but I didn't want her mum or dad to answer and see. I've never been to Holly's house before – I haven't been to any of their houses before to be honest.

The door was flung open, a very smiley Holly stood there in just a tank top and shorts. Toothbrush was in her gob and she had her hair in pigtails and glasses on. I laughed at her appearance and she narrowed her eyes jokingly.

"Hey – brush-a brush-a brush-a, new ipana toothpaste, brush-a, brush-a, brush-a, its healthy for your teeth!" I teased, flicking my head about like she does in Grease, my hair bouncing around and my teeth pointed out.

"Funny." She gargled. "Come in."

I carried on laughing as I stepped over the threshold. I took my shoes off by the door and placed them at the bottom of the stairs, wriggling my toes in my white socks, I followed through.

She spat the toothpaste out into the kitchen sink and washed it, the water splashing everywhere. Her kitchen was fairly modern and the sink only had one tap unlike mine. Will I ever stop comparing my life to everyone else's? Does it really matter that much when they are never going to see it?