First Meeting

The Sheriff stared, eyes wide, his mouth opened, but he couldn't seem to talk, his mouth was dry. His heart felt like it was being squeezed out of him.

"S-stiles?" He said, shakily.

Mitch winced a little at the name, not used to it, but he nodded anyway. He tried his best not to give away, a part of him really didn't want to be here and would have rather stayed anonymous.

The Sheriff couldn't believe his eyes, he hadn't recognized Stiles at first. They were around the same hight for starters, but he'd also matured so much over the years. This wasn't a boy standing in front of him, but a young man. His face was fuller and his eyes much darker. Stiles also looked much more built up, more solid than before. Stiles shirt was tight around him, showing of his much broader physique. His skin tanner and his hair longer.

"Yeah, it's me" Mitch said, feeling a little awkward.

The Sheriff continued to stare at him and Mitch was getting worried until a familiar head poked around the corner.

"John? What's-" Melissa started to ask, but then stopped. She at first didn't recognize Mitch either, but with a closer view and the Sheriff's pure stunned expression, she put two and two together.

Mitch caught on at how they were dressed, and Melissa looked like she had more makeup on than normal.

"I didn't interrupt anything?" He asked casually, raising his eyebrows at the pair of them. To be honest, he was surprised it had taken this long and him leaving for them to finally realize they liked each other.

The Sheriff flushed, seemingly to snap out of his stunned trance before he stammered "No, no, no, everything is...good, okay, I mean-how?!-"

"I'll explain but not right now, can I come in?" Mitch asked.

His father nodded and quickly made room for him to walk inside, they all walked into the living room. Mitch's eyes sweeping the room before he sat down, facing the door, it was instinctive, but it did feel strange doing it automatically in what was once his home.

Melissa asked, more calm but still startled, "I think we'd all like to know how are you here? And-"

"Where have you been, son?" The Sheriff demanded. Though, he still looked like he was on the verge of fainting or having a major break down.

"I can't tell you everything and some things I'd rather keep to myself, but to make it short, I joined the CIA after college" Mitch said, keeping his voice collected and calm.

The Sheriff seemed to splutter for a second, then asked, eyes wide, "The CIA?"

"But that still doesn't explain why you haven't contacted us at all. We all started to believe you had died" Melissa said shakily, her head went down in shame.

Mitch thought, well, they'd been nearly right. He had almost died plenty of times, there had been quite a few close calls, but he didn't think that would make Melissa and his father any calmer.

Mitch took a deep breath, then just started talking.

It's time to get this over with, Mitch, he thought to himself.

"The type of job that I'm required to do, I need to work in secrecy and a lot of things that I've done are classified, I can't tell you. To be honest, I didn't have to stop contacting you, however when I first started college I just wanted something normal. I wanted something away from the supernatural life. You were...always talking about the pack, what had gone on without me, and I was even temped to return but then... I met someone, someone special. They helped me get to grips with a normal life and that started with not contacting you or the pack, I didn't want to be reminded of the supernatural".

The Sheriff looked disappointed and even a little guilty as he talked.

Melissa asked warmly, "Who did you meet?"

Mitch felt his muscles tense up, he forced himself to relax before they noticed. Even now, he thought bitterly.

Why did she affect him this much even now?

Though he forced himself to smile, even though he was breaking a little inside.

"Her name was Mary"