Threatening

The door closed behind them and was locked

The door closed behind them and was locked. Deaton waited a while before he turned to Mitch, waiting for Anna and Scott to be further away, so their supernatural hearing would not pick up their conversation.

Mitch watched Deaton as he turned to face him. Mitch felt himself relax, his posture straightening, holding himself at his full hight. He casually walked to the side, Deaton's eyes following him.

"You think you know what I am?" Mitch said, mocking. An easy smile on his face, quite different from Deaton's serious expression.

He knew that look.

He'd seen that expression many, many times.

"I know I do," Deaton replied coldly.

Mitch gave him a patronizing smile. Deaton's eyes narrowed.

"I believe you should leave. You shouldn't have come back. What are you really doing back?"

Mitch said in a painfully sweet tone which was anything but sweet, "I'm visiting, like people do. People go home, right? So am I".

"People like you don't visit" Deaton said.

Mitch walked lazily towards Deaton. However, his movements almost had a predatory quality, a predator stalking prey.

He raised his hands up, with movement to help make his point, but they were calculated movements, nothing like he knew he used to be.

"You know, for me normally you'd be right but my higher ups disagree"

"And your higher ups are?" Deaton asked, but he sounded a little disgusted.

Mitch's expression turned into a sneer, as he said with hostility, "I don't think I like your tone"

"Who are they, Stiles?!" Deaton demanded, eyes hard.

Mitch was standing next to Deaton now, he loomed over him as he replied icily "Now that's way above your pay grade"

Deaton blinked, then his lips thinned as he was about to reply, but Mitch interrupted him.

"You think I'm a contract killer or a dark supernatural being, don't you?" He said.

The vet replied slowly "I've dabbled in some dark things in my youth, certain people always nearby, and you are exactly like them. You can blend in, but I recognize it in your eyes most of all, Stiles. Your eyes used to be full of light, now they're just dead".

Mitch didn't reply to that, he did often wonder if the looking into someone's eyes thing, to truly see them, to see their soul was real, it seemed Deaton believed it.

He shook his head and shrugged his shoulders far too calmly in a situation like this as he said, "You're close I guess, though I am a little insulted they're the first things that come to your mind"

He stepped away from Deaton as he continued, "Though I suppose Scott didn't tell you, however even if he did, you'd probably still want me gone"

"You told Scott what you do, and you're still here?" Deaton asked, surprised.

Mitch chuckled a little, shaking his head "Not the whole true obviously, or you're right, I probably wouldn't be here, but you don't know the whole truth either"

He looked at Deaton in the eyes as he said truthfully and his voice losing the patronizing edge, much more serious, "You're right, I do kill for a living, but I'm not a contract killer or a dangerous supernatural who kills for fun. I'm CIA Alan".

What Deaton didn't expect was that.

His eyes widened, and he opened his mouth to ask a question, but Mitch interrupted him again, leaning on the metal table where Anna's dog was still lying down but watching them curiously "I'm an assassin, but I work for the government, funny, huh? That they'd want people like me. My job is to kill terrorists for a living and any other human threats to our country".

He smiled darkly as he added, "I'm the one who makes people disappear when they're playing around in things they shouldn't"

Deaton took a long time to react then respond, his demeanor suddenly a lot less forceful and more nervous.

Maybe it was the fact he'd accused someone from the CIA of being a contract killer, something he knew was highly offensive in Mitch's kind of work, or maybe because he caught the underlying threat in Mitch's voice.

The assassin said slowly, "In fact, I think you might have heard of me. I changed my name in college, haven't been Stiles for years".

Deaton stiffened.

"My name's Mitch Rapp"

Deaton took a deep breath in sharply.

"I...heard of you" He said.

Mitch smirked and his voice going back to a more patronizing edge and mocking "All good things, I hope"

Then Deaton seemed to pale as he said, "This is your identity, why are you telling me this? I thought the CIA loved secrecy".

Mitch sighed as he said grimly, "I'm worried someone might come looking for me here. I need at least someone who knows what's going on and makes sure the pack does what they need to do. You have a ton of secrets in your pocket, you know how to keep them, I was hoping you could keep mine".

Deaton said defensively, crossing his arms but not making any other move, "I'm sensing I don't have much of a choice in this"

Mitch smiled, but it wasn't a friendly one. He put one of his hands in his pockets, a perfectly normal movement if the other hadn't reached from under his jacket to where his gun was stationed.

"It's a small town" Mitch said.

"You like to go missing for months sometimes. Either to help the pack with some research or your own, supernatural or more to do with your job. No one would really notice if you didn't come back from your next adventure, correct?"

Now it was clear.

They knew where they both stood and who had the power here.

Deaton stepped back, in both ways.