Taunt Strings

"You're order sir" 

Mitch pointed to in on the menu. 

"I'll have that one" 

"Good choice, and for you Ma'am?" 

The waiter adopted a warmer smile as he addressed Anna, Mitch noted. 

"I'll have the same" Anna told him, giving the waiter the menu, he took it from her and took Mitch's then swiftly left them alone. 

"Must you always scare our waiters away?" She asked, amused. 

He chuckled "What? I wasn't doing anything" 

"You were staring at him as soon as he came to the table, it was making him uncomfortable" 

"He was looking at you the wrong way" Mitch said, opening his napkin as he did so, it suddenly became very interesting to him.

"And what way would that be?" Anna asked him, suggestively. 

Mitch shook his head disbelievingly at her forwardness but couldn't stop himself from smiling, amused.

They sit in a comfortable silence, the chatter of the restaurant around them for a while. Mitch is the one who breaks it. 

"I was wondering some things, it might not be propitiate right now but-" 

"Thats okay, what did you want to know?" Anna asked, curiously. 

He took a minute to reply. 

"Do you know how close are Scott and Theo?' 

She looked surprised by the question but she answered anyway "Very close, they're together a lot of the time. I would say even Theo might be his second?" 

She noticed as she talked Mitch's expression became troubled. 

"Right" He muttered. 

"What is it?" She asked. 

"Nothing important, so, what about you?" 

"Me and Theo?" 

"No, sorry,  I mean you and Scott" 

Anna smiled at that as she said "His great. He really took care of me when Theo found me. He was really there for me, you know? But I do get why he isn't your favourite person right now" 

Mitch nodded. 

Well, he thought, there goes that idea but Theo was still something he could possibly cover up but Scott was still sure to hate him after everything, that was a given. 

Sorry Scott, he thought. 

He then asked her rather bluntly "Theo been doing anything suspicious lately?" 

Anna shook her head at his bluntness as she asked him "What is this about?" 

He didn't reply for a long time, thinking it over, should he tell her? It could possible even help him in the future maybe? And he had to know for sure... 

He waits as the waiter comes back with their food, then takes a deep drink before he says anything, finally... 

"I have intel from my boss that there is a thief come for some top secret crap I've got on me and a assassin out to kill me but we do believe they might be working together or..." 

He leaned in closer, lowering his voice, letting Kennedy's suspicion out "They're one and the same"

Anna's eyes widened in shock. 

"You think Theo might be-"

"Yeah" Mitch said, not wanting her to say it out loud. 

"What if his not?" She asked. 

Mitch shrugged and leaned back in his chair. 

He lied "I have some other suspects, people I've worked with in the past, you won't know them but they really hate my guts" 

"Care to share?" 

Mitch smirked. 

"Nope" 

"But" He said "I will tell you what his after" 

Mitch took out the document from his pocket, it was rolled up so she couldn't see what was inside. 

Her eyes locked on to it in shock. 

"Thats what he wants?" 

Mitch nodded "Top secret so don't ask but..." 

He grinned slyly. 

"I got some intel from my boss, he should be arriving soon, to go through my things to find it, what he doesn't know is I have this document on me, at all times so he won't find much. He probably be there soon so if you don't mind but I'd like to cut this date short, I hope you understand"

Anna looked shocked at the information and the abrupt ending. He stood up, she noticed then while they'd been talking he'd eaten all his food, while she'd barely started. To engrossed in the conversation, to engrossed in him.

"I-I understand" She stammered, trying to get her thoughts together. 

Mitch turned to leave but stopped when Anna suddenly gripped his wrist tightly, pulling him back a little. 

"Be careful, won't you?" She asked. 

"I will be" He said. 

Then her expression twisted in confusion and something else. 

"What I don't understand is...why tell me all that? We haven't known each other that long, I mean-" 

"Hey, its okay" Mitch said. 

He put his much larger hand over her own hand she was gripping one of his wrists with, comfortingly.

"I told you, I told you because even though your right, it hasn't been that long but even so and maybe I'm an idiot but I trust you, Anna" 

She let go of his wrist in surprise at that. Her eyes big and caring but true shock showed in them at his words. 

He gave her a soft smile then he left. 

Mitch didn't tell her there were two other reasons, one a little darker than the other... 

But...she reminded him of Mary. 

And Mitch...wasn't sure how to take that. 

This is the last chapter for today! I hope!  (Looks at next chapter and starts writing, while promising myself I won't finish this one until tomorrow, lets see if I can stick to that promise!) We are getting close to the ending of this story, there are ten or less than ten chapters left! Hope you  enjoy this chapter and let me know what you think xx