Emotional Strings Attached

Mitch left the vets feeling

Mitch left the vets feeling...well, he wasn't sure what he was feeling, but he was surprised when Anna, who was walking her dog, started to follow him.

"I'm going the same way as you, it seems," Anna said, amused as she caught up with him.

"You live this way too?" Mitch said, making ideal conversation.

Anna nodded.

"So...you and Scott used to be friends?" Anna asked.

Mitch nodded as he said, "Yeah, real while ago though"

"And you now work for the CIA?" She said.

Mitch said sarcastically "Yeah, it's no big deal, really boring actually"

She giggled as she said, "I don't know about that"

Mitch smiled at her.

"You said Theo saved your life?" Mitch prompted.

Anna nodded quickly as she replied, "I was on my way back from hospital, I was...distraught. Wasn't looking where I was going and I crashed my car. I would have been okay if there wasn't a bit of a cliff and my car hadn't rolled. Theo found me and called Scott".

Mitch winced.

She nodded sympathetically.

He asked, carefully, "You were distraught?"

Anna smiled gently, but it was a sad smile as she said "My father had just passed away in hospital. I got a few moments with him before he left. He had a mental illness, he...didn't recognize me"

Mitch's eyes widened a little at that, his mind slowly slipping back to his past, where he did not wish to think, not really.

He swallowed down his emotions, but he did say simply "I know what that's like"

She looked at him, surprised, "You too?"

"My mother, it was a long time ago though but similar circumstance" He finally said after delayed minutes.

"This feels so refreshing, I mean-! All I have really is the pack after my accident, I didn't go back home. They all think they understand or pretend, but-"

"They can't, they don't. No one can understand what that is like unless it's happened to them" Mitch said, his tone softer than Anna had ever heard it.

She looked at him, noting he hadn't looked at her, not once since she brought up her father.

He spoke up again, his chest feeling tighter than it should have, wondering when the last time he'd opened up like this was but...no one he'd ever met had gone through that before and for some reason, that seemed to make all the difference.

"I was eight, when she died. My father didn't make it in time, I was with her when she died, alone" He said slowly, he finally looked at her after that, watching her reaction.

Anna felt a well of sympathy run rapid deep inside her, she doubted he was the type of guy who'd want her whole life story, which she suddenly wanted to pour out.

Because he understood.

He was the only one who truly understood her, even to an extent that he wasn't aware of yet, hopefully he'd never know.

Mitch then watched her frown slightly, and he could only imagine what she was thinking.

"We'll be seeing a lot of each other, I won't be a stranger for long," He said instead.

She agreed, "No, you won't be"

They came to stop at a flat.

"This is my stop" Mitch said.

Anna nodded.

They seemed to stand awkwardly next to each other for a couple of minutes before he said casually, "Would you like to come in?"

No reason not to, Mitch thought, though cutting off any thoughts that were telling him he was doing this for a different reason...

Anna's face lit up with that.

She smiled.