Chapter Twenty-One

"We've got lights out in Poland."

Toby looked up from his surveillance screen at the agent next to him. Howard was there in an instant, leaning over his shoulder.

"Give me visual," Howard said.

"It'll take a few moments to get a drone out there," The agent said, accessing a camera set up in Germany. The drone blinked to life and circled the city it was stationed in before traveling at surprising speed towards the blast.

The city was pitch black, but the outline of the buildings were visible. People were beginning to light candles or gas lamps and streaming into the streets.

The agent projected the footage up onto the front screen for the rest of the eleven agents to see.

Toby frowned. This was too much like Kavala. Hopefully there wouldn't be the same violent panic, however.

Toby watched carefully, but couldn't see any specific faces. He hadn't gotten any leads to Nolan's whereabouts since he disappeared from the radar in Germany. Maddie and James were still working on finding him or anyone who could lead them to him.

Toby's personal phone buzzed in his pocket.

Making sure everyone else's eyes were glued to the television, he slid the phone into his lap and read the message from James.

-Got something. Call us.

He rolled his chair away from the desk and stood up. He tapped Howard on the shoulder with the back of his finger. "Sir, I need to be excused for a few moments."

Howard glanced at him an then back up at the screen again. "Granted."

Toby didn't waste any time leaving the surveillance room. It was the middle of the night, so the rest of the building was all but empty. Toby made his way down the shining tile to the men's restroom and pulled out his phone again. As he dialed he number, he made sure no one else was in the stalls.

"Hello, this is James."

"I picked up the milk," Toby replied with a cringe. "Couldn't we have made the code word anything else?"

"Nope, but glad to hear from you."

"What'd you get?" Toby leaned against one of the sinks, keeping his voice low.

"There was a massive wreck on a street in Germany two days ago, but no one was at the site when the police arrived."

"Do you think it was Clay?"

"We have good reason to think so. There was the shell of 223 Remington ammo, assumedly from an AR-15."

Toby nodded slowly. "Most of Egor's men used those kinds of guns."