Chapter Twenty-Seven

It was a lot harder to kidnap someone that Nolan had originally thought.

He hauled Fredrick onto his shoulder as they descended down the elevator and pulled out his phone.

He sent a pre-typed message to Collin and Jim, who were waiting outside.

-On our way.

The two doors slid open with a cheerful ding! and they filed out into the kitchen.

It was crowded with chefs and servers, still churning out food for the party.

They all stopped to stare, particularly at the bloodied figure hanging from Nolan's shoulder.

"The governor's son cut himself," Nolan said, "My wife and I are doctors. All he needs is a bandage and some rest."

"Will he be alright?" One of the chefs asked.

"He'll be just fine," Grace said with an encouraging smile, taking Nolan's arm. "Come along, dear."

They hurried through the kitchen under the skeptical eye of the cooks.

"This reminds me of that one Doctor Who episode...except much worse. And without Cybermen," Grace panted.

Police sirens suddenly blared from outside.

Hurry, hurry, hurry....Nolan thought to himself as they burst through the door that lead to the backside of the house.

Blue and red lights blinked from the front and their reflections darted across the grass.

Headlights flashed once from the woods across the lawn.

Grace and Nolan made a dash for it.

Fredrick moaned as his body bounced.

Grace stumbled and fell to her knees. She quickly yanked off her heels and started running again.

They made it to the woods and could faintly make out the silhouette of an old car.

Collin hopped out and opened the door to the back seat. "Hurry up!"

Nolan all but tossed Fredrick inside before he and Grace filed in.

"Go!" Grace huffed, shutting the door behind her.

Jim kept his headlights off and expertly wheeled the car backwards through the trees.

From a distance, Nolan could see police officers surrounding the house. He couldn't help but grin. He'd been the cause of a good old-fashioned mansion murder mystery.

He glanced at Fredrick, who was shaking uncontrollably.

It wasn't exactly murder...yet.

He noticed a red scar just at the man's collarbone. He wondered what kind of surgery he'd had in the past.