Chapter Twenty-Five

Nolan sipped his coffee and gave a slight shudder

Nolan sipped his coffee and gave a slight shudder. The people in Poland made some of the strongest brew he'd ever tasted.

They'd decided to settle for the time being in a small ski town named Klausberg in Poland. There wasn't much snow yet, but it was still just above freezing. The café was located three buildings down from the hotel they were staying in.

Jim and Collin had called their worried families the moment they'd entered civilization. They'd decided to stay for the next week to help Nolan and Grace in any way possible until they went back home to their families.

Nolan was secretly hoping Maddie and James would shut it all down and be done with it...but knew there was a nearly impossible chance of that.

Toby had called and told him that Howard had agreed to help them...on the condition of their arrest.

How can I ever thank him? Nolan thought bitterly, taking another sip of his coffee and looking around. The café was petitely constructed of dark lumber and two of the walls were made of window-paned glass, displaying a beautiful view of a mountain range in the distance. He sat at a long wooden bar attached to it and ran a distracted thumb across the smooth surface.

The sun was just beginning to crest over the mountain peaks, casting brilliant pinks, yellows, and blues across the transparent sky. As tired as he'd been, he still got up early like he always had. It felt good to have a sense of normalization...he hadn't had it in a while.

The front door opened and the tinkling of a bell signaled the arrival of a customer.

Nolan turned to see Jim enter the café, wearing a thick black coat and gray beanie over his equally gray hair.

"Morning, Jim," Nolan called.

Jim lifted a hand in greeting. After he'd gotten a warm beverage himself, he took a seat on the padded stool next to Nolan.

"Sleep well last night?" Him asked.

"In a bed with that much cushion, it's hard not to," Nolan replied.

"Very true," He took a gulp of his coffee and cringed as he swallowed.

"Strong stuff, isn't it?" Nolan laughed.

"That'll definitely put hair on your chest," he said, placing the cup to the side. "How's Grace doing?"

"Haven't seen her in a day and a half," Nolan said. "She said she needed to "introvert" for a while...I guess that means staying in her room for twenty-four house. She's had a rough time."

"It sounds like it. Both of you have." Jim rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "I know Grace has family back home, what about you?"

"I have a sister and a brother-in-law," Nolan replied simply, "Haven't seen them in almost twelve years."