Chapter Twenty-Eight

"I don't know what to tell you, son," James said quietly. "This all seems impossible. I mean, the CIA would have found these terrorists if they'd escaped..."

"But they weren't looking for them, they should've been dead," Nolan replied grimly. He looked around the car at the confused faces around him...he'd forgotten to put it on speaker. "Is there anything else?"

"That's all we have so far, but I'll keep you updated. You just need to get out of there; about fifty men or so are ten miles away from your current location."

"Got it. I'll talk to you later." Nolan hung up the phone and was given half a second to let it all sink in before everyone started asking what had happened.

"Colossus is sending an army of foot soldiers across the globe," he said, "each group is led by a terrorist that's supposed to have been dead for years. Like Egor."

Shocked silence filled the small car and was only broken by the low hum of the engine as it raced across the pavement.

"Why?" Jim asked.

"I don't know. Unless this is punishment for disabling the EMP chain..." Nolan suddenly straightened. "Or maybe the EMPs are just a tool..."

Collin's brow lowered. "What do you mean?"

"We've always thought that it was odd for Egor to go to all this trouble just to wreak havoc. And these armies were carefully planned and organized—it wasn't just a plan B for if something happened with the EMPs."

Grace's lips parted in surprise. "You mean the EMPs are just clearing the slate for something bigger."

"Not good," Jim murmured. His knuckles were white as he gripped the steering wheel and he exhaled what sounded like a prayer.

Nolan looked out the window, his mind a blur. He wasn't as concerned about Egor's deadly intentions as he was about the fact that ghosts were leading his armies.

Every name James had read Nolan remembered. He remembered the clothes they wore, the city they were located in, and the orders given to him as he looked through the crosshairs of his scope. Even though he hadn't always been the one to pull the trigger, he'd been there. He'd seen their bloodied corpses. How could they be alive?

As perplexed as he was, he couldn't help but feel as if he hadn't done his job.

They'd gone after those men for a reason; to eliminate further terror. Now all of them had joined together to pull off the biggest attack in human history.

That lead to the question of who had been responsible for it all? Had Egor deliberately orchestrated for all of these men to fake their deaths? It seemed highly improbable.