Part One ~ Chapter Four

“Hate to break it to you buddy, but I think you need a reality check.”
-Amy

_____________________

Chapter Four

There was a stunned silence. All around the room I could see people with their mouth agape, staring at the man in the door with a gun. When I suddenly realized that thought, it brought me back to reality. Oh yeah, there was a man at the door who was probably planning on killing us all. Someone get me the hell out of here!

A plate clattered to the ground somewhere around me and all eyes turned to a boy sheepishly bending to pick it up. There was a cough, a sneeze, but nobody dared to talk, nevertheless scream. It was as if one word would trigger the gun in the intruder’s hand.

I was gonna die.

I was gonna die.

Oh. My. Gosh.

I was gonna die.

Why did I let Matt convince my parents to send me here? Stupid Hamilton Academy didn’t even have a good security! What is this?

“I said,” the man whispered in the doorway with a gruff voice. “Give me all of your money.” The gun in his hand turned slightly, now pointing directly at a student who let out a gasp and then quickly covered her mouth as if she had regretted making a peep.

This isn’t a freaking bank, we don’t have any money. Hate to break it to you buddy, but I think you need a reality check.

“Give. Me. The. Money.”

Okay, this man was seriously getting me freaked out. I could legit feel my heart pounding in my chest, adrenaline pumping through my veins. I was pretty sure Julia, who was right beside me, could hear how loud my heart was, practically about to burst. Where were the cops now; the police cars and the ambulances all arriving on the scene like in those movies, while everything turned out all right and the bad guys were sent to jail?

Because this isn’t a movie, my subconscious was telling me. And there are no cops to save you this time.

“Okay, well it looks like nobody’s willing to fork over the cash.” The man narrowed his eyes, as he sent us each one last pitying glance. “I guess this is goodbye, kids.”

Goodbye?! What does he mean, goodbye?! Was he going to kill us all? I wasn’t ready to die young, there were so many things I haven’t done with in my lifetime…

The man aimed the gun at one kid, put his finger over the trigger, and- I closed my eyes before I could see anything else.

“Okay, that’s quite enough.”

My eyes flew open at the voice. I never thought I would be more than happy to hear Mr. Higgins speak as he came up behind the man clutching the gun. Yes, he was here to save us all!

“Good job John.”

Was Mr. Higgins, was he… I literally did a double take as I saw Mr. Higgins shake the open hand of the intruder. Oh no, what was going on here?

“Let me explain,” Mr. Higgins addressed all of our astonished faces, as a slight smile came over his face. I don’t know how he could be smiling at a time like this, when we were all about to DIE! “I’m pretty sure all of you are very confused, maybe even scared.”

Maybe even scared? Of course we were scared, what do you think this is? If being on the edge of near death isn’t what you would ‘being scared,’ then I don’t know what is.

“I am proud to announce that all of you were just being drilled. And have successfully passed.”

This caused a murmur of chatter to start to slowly build up, but as I looked to Matt and Julia I realized they too had no idea what was going on. Good, so it wasn’t only me.

“Every month here at Hamilton Academy, we have certain drills. Maybe at your old schools you’ve had fire drills, lockdown drills, things like that. Well, the state has now recently started to require that Hamilton Academy have an intruder drill, one where we show what to do if an intruder were to come in. So, all of the staff decided it was best we would measure the way all of you act under pressure by staging a real break-in.”

“So this was all just a damn drill?” I muttered. Thank gosh my brother wasn’t here, him and the others had dinner earlier. Well, Mr. Higgins. What would you think if I came and held a gun to your head all of a sudden one day, only to tell you it was a little drill after he started screaming for mercy and all? Yeah, how would you like that?

“So carry on with your dinner,” Mr. Higgins waved his hand aside like it was nothing. “Staff meeting in one hour, my office. We have to discuss the results of today’s drill.”

“How does this man expect us to eat after what just happened?” I asked dryly, staring down at my food as I turned away from the door and back to the table to face my friends.

“I thought it was quite entertaining,” Matt grinned mischievously. “I knew it wouldn’t be long until all the girls were begging me to save them.”

“I’m back,” Andrew sat down with us, putting down his tray.

“Where were you?” I asked, not meaning for the question to come out nosy, but more out of curiosity, considering he had missed the whole entire drill.

“Oh, I left my phone back in my cabin and then I stopped by at the bathroom.”

“So you missed everything that just happened?”

“With what?”

“With the- uhmm, the-” How do I explain it? ‘Oh, you know, this man just came in and tried to kill all of us because we had no money for in. Then we figured out it was all a drill and life’s just peachy!’ Yes, most definitely.

“Never mind that,” Matt tried to interrupt our slightly awkward conversation. “How about we go listen in on their staff meeting in an hour? Give us a chance to sneak around for a bit, instead of spending time back in our cabins.”

“Sure,” I agreed, only because I wasn’t looking forward to meeting Kathryn again. Might as well avoid the inevitable now, shouldn’t I?

“If we get in trouble,” Julia paused and looked at me. “This is all on you.”

----------------

another chapter, as promised(: 

so yeah, please don't be mad that this was all a fake ahaha... oh Hamilton and their weird safety drills... 

New chapter probably around Monday to Wednesday. February break so I have time to write! 

So what'd you think of this? Weird? Strange? 

Comment, vote, fan <3