Part Two ~ Chapter Twenty

"I didn't dare interrupt her silence, I wasn't even sure if she had noticed me."

-Matt

------------

The deal was that everyone on the football team was required to meet up three hours before the dance. We had been given the assignment of turning the drab Dining Hall into a mysterious yet magical dance floor. Everyone on the team spent the last twenty minutes of practice the other day debating what decorations would make the place appear amazing to their girlfriends. Apparently this was the best time to impress them and make up for any past mistakes, and all of the guys seemed to wait for this opportunity when they messed up with their girl. I was glad that I no longer had to worry about that, even though Charlotte was still stuck on the idea that we were still a couple.

"I thought everyone complained about this. If they all wait for it so they can patch things up, why do they always try to talk Coach Trudden out of making us do it." I recalled the way Greg bitched about it constantly.

"Each one of them knows that Coach isn't going to let them skip doing it, but they complain so that it doesn't look like they enjoy setting up the dance. It goes like this every year," Tyler explained.

"Well then, I'll be sure to remember that if I ever end up screwing up a relationship. I'll always have this to rely on."

"Luckily I haven't messed things up with Anya yet. I hope she doesn't have high expectations on this." I highly doubted that this dance would affect Anya's opinion on Tyler. She wasn't really that kind of person, and I think Tyler knew that too. He just was always a little stressed about messing things up with her. It was sweet that he liked her so much, but I also found it a little sickening. You can't really blame me though, guys don't really like the sappy stuff.

"How much longer until we are supposed to be there?" Tyler shrugged and checked his phone for the time. Mine had died while I was out jogging earlier, so now it was charging.

"We have thirty minutes or so. What do you feel like doing? I know that some of the guys are going to play some baseball, and a few others are probably spending any spare time making sure everything for the dance is prepared. Those are the ones who );););))really;);):): messed things up with their girlfriends."

"We don't have to worry about that, so let's just play baseball with everyone. Are they at the field outside the Dining Hall or the one the team uses?" Hamilton Academy had two main baseball fields. One diamond was used for games because it had bleachers for watching, and the other was used for everyone who just played games for fun. I assumed they would all be at that one.

"Yeah, but they already started the game, so we just have to listen for shouts or a fight." Tyler had a point. Some of the guys on the football team were well known for the amount of fights they got in, usually over pointless stuff.

"Hey guys! Don't bother going over to the field." Greg bounded over to us, starting to inform us of a change in plans. "There was a big fight and so we all just decided to quit playing. Chad was being an asshole, and I'm not going to stick around with him there."

I figured as much. Greg and Chad never got along, always quick to point out anything the other did wrong. Sitting with them during meals was always a blast. If your definition of blast was the center of a screaming match and playing referee when things got too messy.

"So what's the plan now?"

"We are just going to all get on early start on decorating. We have to set up food and drinks also, so that'll take some time. All the chaperones for the dance will arrive when we leave to get ready. Only Coach an a few others are going to be around to help with set up." Greg quickly gave us the run down of what was going to happen, and we chatted a little as we walked. Tyler claimed that I would probably get mauled by Charlotte within the first five minutes of the dance, which led him and Greg to start a bet on it. I wasn't going to comment either way, but I was just praying that wearing a mask would keep her from recognizing me. Tyler was quick to point out that it wouldn't matter, Charlotte goes after anything mildly attractive that breathes.