Part Three ~ Chapter Twenty

“I would never wish what I had gone through to be put upon others. Ever. I know how it feels, and it was absolutely terrible.”

-Ethan

------------

            “Yes, something could go wrong indeed,” Mr. Grey steps out from behind a tree, an evil glint in his eyes.

            Of all of us, the look on Matt’s face seemed the most horrified. For some reason, I wasn’t shocked to see him. I sort of had a feeling that he would be there. I mean yes, I was scared as heck that he was standing before, near the edge of a very, very deathly cliff. But Mr. Grey’s just been playing this out for so long. How long was he willing to keep this game up before he kills us? I’d rather he just get it over with then just this torture. It was starting to feel like him popping up out of nowhere was a normality. Is that a bad thing? I think yes.

            “What’s this damn game you’re playing with us?” Matt hissed, stepping out in front of us. “Because I want out.”

            “Sweetie, you know the only way out is down.” Mr. Grey’s eyes shifted towards the cliff and then back to Matt. My mind flashed back Amy and Kyle’s conversation about the chess game and how the only way out was to die.

            “For the both of us, maybe.” Matt took a step closer to him.

            Mr. Grey backed up, his hands in the air. “Oh Matt, I’m not looking for a fight. This isn’t a two-sided thing here. I take charge.” He slowly reached into his back pocket for his knife. He pulled it out and did something unexpected. He grabbed Kyle by the arm and held the knife to his throat.

            I wanted to scream out so badly, seeing Mr. Grey’s hands on one of my best friends, but there was nothing I could.

            “You guys have all seen the movie Peter Pan, right?” Mr. Grey said in a soothing voice, one that sent shivers up my spine. It was something I had never heard before. “Well come on, have you?”

            We all nodded meekly.

            “So you must know Captain Hook then, am I right? Made his shipmates walk the plank and then jump?”

            I didn’t like where this was going.

            “So go on, Kyle. Walk the plank.”

            Kyle just stared at him, his eyes full of fear.

            “The bridge, dummy. And then jump.”

            Kyle stood there for a moment. “No.”

            “What do you mean, no?”

            “No.”

            “This wasn’t a question, you don’t have an option Kyle.”

            “Why?” Kyle asked boldly. “Why this?”

            “Good question,” Mr. Grey smirked. “I would actually like to explain. As you must have caught on by now, I like to make you suffer. Sudden death for all of you, it’s just so painless. And what’s one of the most painful things to do then just watch your friend die? Why, just watch them jump off the very bridge and plummet to their death. Imagine the pain inside of you that you will feel, all that internal pain. That’s what I want.”

            “You want my death to cause them pain?”

            “This conversation ends here.” Matt attempted to take the knife from Mr. Grey, but his reflexes were faster.