Part One ~ Chapter Thirteen

"If we don't do something, we're all gonna die."

-Matt

----------------------

Chapter Thirteen

Damn science teacher. It's as if she waits for the moment we all aren't speaking to assign a project that we have to do together. When I came back from Mr. Higgins' office, Andrew told me the unpleasant news; we had to gather leaves from different trees off the ground and put together a poster on them. Recognizing different tree leaves is always my idea of fun.

So we were stuck wandering through the woods together, just the four of us.

"Is this the same kind of leaf as this?" Amy held up two leaves and I groaned. I had no clue, how were we supposed to tell? I had missed class so I didn't get to hear whatever she told them about the project, but Julia said she assigned it and then ran out of the place to throw up. If her morning sickness didn't give it away, the bump on her stomach did. Mrs. Heals was pregnant.

"Hold on a minute, I'll just get out my pocket leaf guide and tell you." Julia's voice was dangerously low. I sighed, kicking up some dirt with my feet.

"Everyone shut up and get over here. Walk in front of me." I spun around, looking for the source of the familiar voice growling at us.

"Who is that?" Julia clutched onto my arm, shaking in fear.

"I said to shut your mouths! You, get over here." A figure stepped into the open and I immediately recognized it as Mrs. Grey. "Stop your gaping! Julia, come over here and don't make things difficult. Do you see this gun?" I swallowed and my eyes were wide in consternation. "There we go, walk on over."

I held my breath as Julia gingerly took a step forward, trembling a bit as she did so. When she got close enough, Mrs. Grey latched her fingers into her arm and yanked her close to her. She lifted the gun and held it against Julia's cheek. Her eyes narrowed as she studied each of us carefully.

"See your friend Julia here? Well unless you all decide to join me on a little walk, I may very well pull this trigger. Don't mess with me, children. I can end her life in an instant."

I watched as Julia bit her lip, knowing that whenever she did that she was holding back a string of curse words. Why the hell did Mrs. Grey want us? Poor Julia, she couldn't even do anything. My heart was beating rapidly as I hesitantly took a step forward towards Mrs. Grey. I didn't want us to do anything to set her off; that was my best friend in her hands!

Looking around, I noticed Amy and Andrew slowly join me in following Mrs. Grey. I ran a shaky hand through my hair.

"Okay Mrs. Grey, we are coming. Please don't...kill Julia." I gulped at the thought of Julia's dead body on the ground.

"Stand in front of me!" She barked orders. "Now walk, and don't disobey me. I still have dear old Julia." I gritted my teeth together in anger. She was threatening to shoot Julia, and she hadn't even done anything wrong.

"Mrs. Grey...?" Julia wrung her hands nervously, and I prayed that whatever she said didn't get her killed. I wanted to jump in and slap a hand over her mouth, but I doubted that would go over well with Mrs. Grey.

"What?" Mrs. Grey snapped, glaring harshly at Julia.

"Well, it's just that I didn't do anything, so why would you shoot me?" Oh that was great Julia, real smart. Ask the lady threatening to kill you why she would threaten you like that. While she is pressing the gun against your face.

"That's the whole point darling." Mrs. Grey's voice was sickly sweet as she nudged Julia's cheek with the gun. "You haven't upset them yet, so they all want to save you. Am I right kids?" Julia shuddered and I took a menacing step forward.