Part Two ~ Chapter Twenty-One

“Things felt different now, like it was fate.”

-Amy

------------

            “Who’s ready to partaay?!” Tanya laughed, coming out of the bathroom and twirling in her dress. She gave a glare at Nancy, who was muttering something about how stupid the dance was. “Just because you hate to dance doesn’t mean we do. Just promise me you won’t do drugs?”

            “No promises,” Nancy said with a sly smile on her face

            “She’s a lost cause,” I waved a hand. I gave a look down at my own pink dress and smoothed it out a little bit. “I’ve never been to a dance here. How are they?”

            “Oh yeahh!” Tanya exclaimed, realizing that both Julia and I were new to Hamilton Academy this year. “They are amazing! They give us total freedom, and the chaperones are just too lazy to do anything about us wild teenagers.”

            “Good,” I smiled. “Dances at my old school were so lame. They had organized games, like an air-guitar contest. Not exactly my idea of a good time.”

            “Don’t worry,” Tanya waved a hand aside. “Things here are totally different. You’ll have a blast.”

            “I thought so!” I jumped up off my bed, remembering I forgot something. Rummaging through a plastic sales bag, I pulled out what I was looking for. A few sparkles floated to the ground as I did so. “I can’t believe I forgot about the mask! It is after all a masquerade dance!”

            As I said this, Tanya and Julia both suddenly realized the same thing, scrambling for their bags as well. “Here, can you put this on me?” Julia asked, handing me her mask. I nodded, quickly tying the strings for her. Then I turned around and lifted up my hair so Julia could do the same.

            “You guys look great,” Tanya gushed.

            “Thanks,” both Julia and I smiled. “You too.” The three of us stood in front of the mirror, admiring each other’s dresses in anticipation for the dance. Nancy, on the other hand, was lying down on her head with her headphones on full blast. So loud, in fact, that I could clearly hear the lyrics of the heavy metal rock song.

            “What time is it?” Julia asked.

            Tanya took her phone out of her purse and smiled. “It’s time to dance. Come on guys, it time’s to party.”

            Tonight, I would throw all my cares away and just be free.

***

             The dining hall was crowded with teenagers in masks, sparkly and flashy, barely recognizable. The place was decorated with streamers and decorations, adding an even more mysterious effect to the whole masquerade thing. It was ten times better than what my old school would have done.

            I felt Tanya tug on my arm, pulling me more into the crowd. People all around me were dancing and laughing, not knowing who was who didn’t leave much room for any hatred or drama. I tried to see if there were any familiar people around, but it was hard to tell. From what I could see, Matt and Andrew were nowhere to be seen. Or more importantly… MB.

            Even though I knew his name was Michael Blake, I would always  call him MB. Because that’s who he was to me, MB.

            “Earth to Amy,” Julia waved a hand in front of my face as Nicki Minaj came blaring on.