Part One ~ Chapter Five

“I was late for our spying.” 

-Matt

_________________

Chapter Five

Mark popped his head into our cabin, holding out a phone. “Matt, there is a phone call for you.” I sighed and stood up, reaching for the phone. I figured it was my parents, I hadn’t heard from them in a while.

“From who?”

“Your mother.”

“Hi sweetie! How’re you doing?” My mom’s cheery voice filled my ear, and I started to miss her.

“Fine. How are you and Dad?”

“We’re good, but the house is very lonely without you and your brother. How was your first day of school?”

“Oh, you know, boring.” I laughed, realizing my mom wouldn’t know a thing about the staged break-in.

“Elly? Elly is that you!?”

I didn’t say anything as I heard another voice speaking into the phone. I bit my lip, recognizing the voice but not exactly able to place who it was from. What was some man doing on the line?

“Elly? Answer me. How could you do this to me!?” It was tantalizing; I knew who it was!

“Excuse me, who is this?” I demanded.

There was silence on the other end, and I furrowed my eyebrows.

“Mom, what’s going on?”

“I don’t know darling. Maybe you should go and let me deal with this.” I winced. Why would I want to leave my mom on the phone with a strange man? She was my mom; I wasn’t going to do that.

“No Mom, why would I get off the phone?”

“Sweetie, I can take care of it. I am telling you now to go. I love you, bye. Tell your brother I miss him also!” I kicked a chair and sighed, knowing it was pointless to argue. My mom would make sure she got what she wanted anyways.

Picking up my phone to see if I could maybe call my dad to see what was going on, I realized there was a text from Amy. I was late for our spying.

***

I met with Amy, Julia, and Andrew at the edge of the woods; we were going to cut through them to get to the meeting.

“So, which way do we go?” Amy looked around the woods in wonder. “There are so many trees…”

“What rock have you been hiding under all your life?” I headed off to the left, hoping it would lead to Mr. Higgins’s office.

“Are you sure we have to go into the woods? Maybe there’s another way there, like the paths we usually take?”

“Yeah, the ones that are right out in the open that all the other staff will be taking? And then they yell at us because it’s after curfew? Perfect plan Amy. Come on, don’t be so afraid. You have me to protect you.” I raised my eyebrows at Amy and she turned to Andrew.

“I’d rather have you protect me.” She poked Andrew in the stomach.

“Okay you two,” Julia rolled her eyes. “Let’s go, we don’t have all night.”

“Do you feel like we’re being watched?” Amy whispered as we were walking in the woods. 

“Paranoid much?” Julia smirked.

“I’m serious.” Amy started to pick up her pace, walking faster and faster. “Stop!” She whirled around to find me laughing at her.

“You know what, I think she’s right.” Andrew looked around. “I think we’re being followed.”

“Oh, so now you’re taking Amy’s side, huh?” I rolled his eyes at my friend.

“Come on, let’s go.” Julia grabbed Amy and pulled her along. “I think we’re almost there.”

“I don’t think this is such a good idea,” she moaned.

“I agree.” Andrew was walking slower and slower, watching each step he took.

“I think-”

But Julia’s insight was cut off by Amy’s scream.

“OH MY GOSHHH! WHAT THE HELL!?”

A shadow stepped out from the woods, holding something that looked like a knife in his hand.

“Why hello.”

As the figure stepped into the moonlight, we soon realized it was only Mr. Grey with a phone in his hand. Not any killer.

“Oh,” Amy laughed nervously, feeling foolish for screaming. “Hi.”

“What are you kids doing out so late?” Mr. Grey inquired curiously. “Isn’t it past your curfew?”

“We were just…” Julia racked her brain for an excuse.

“Julia hurt herself!” I quickly exclaimed. “We were just taking her to the nurse.”

“So you didn’t use the real path? You just decided to take a detour through the woods?”

“Umm…” I didn’t know what to say. “Wait!” I glanced down at the phone in Mr. Grey’s hand. “Is that my mother on the phone?”

Everyone else looked at me like I was crazy.

“Nooo,” Mr. Grey gave me a strange look. “Now go back to your cabins, unless you want to be reported.” I stared him down for a while, still doubting his answer. I don’t know what made me accuse him of it, but I had a strange feeling that it was him on the phone earlier.

The four of us obliged though, quickly heading back the way we came. Once we were out of earshot from Mr. Grey teacher, Andrew spoke up.

“Why wasn’t he at the staff meeting? Why was he in the woods instead?”

-----------

gahhh sorry this is super short. I'm having a MAJOR problem right now. Like major major major major major. And there is no way out of this.

so Hamilton is on Lulu.com and my UNCLE ORDERED IT! HOW DID HE MANAGE TO FIGURE THIS STUFF OUT!!?!?!?!?!?!?!/ And I'm freaking out because the minute he reads it and sees all the swears and the stuff about sex and all that crap he will tell my parents and they r gunna KILL ME!!!! So if you don't see me on Wattpad for awhile, it's probably because I was just caught. 

Peace out .

I think I might die.

:'(

Comment, vote, fan<3