Part Two ~ Chapter Sixteen

"If one part of our plan was messed up, well, let's just say that there were a couple lives on the line at the moment."

-Ethan

------------

By four o'clock on Monday afternoon, we were all set to go and had a plan to put into action. It was a risky one, a very risky one in fact, and it took a lot not to spill anything that would make it look suspicious to Matt. He might have been on to us, but I wasn't too sure. I had already slipped the note from Mr. Grey about getting him the key back into Matt's cabin, so he couldn't of been to suspicious. Well, besides the fact that the note had gone missing from his pocket.

"Are you sure you're ready for this?" Kyle put a hand on my shoulder to steady me as we sat on the floor of our cabin. Thankfully, nobody but he and Johnny were there. If someone walked in, it would have looked highly suspicious as to what we were up to.

"Positive," I nodded. "This is what Kathryn would have wanted."

"No its not."

I glared at Johnny for his comment. That was true, Kathryn wanted me to be safe and had told me to stay safe. But still, she would have wanted us to read her letter. So it's all technically the same thing. I think. "Be supportive, kay?" I rolled my eyes at Johnny.

"Right, right," he smiled cheekily.

"Okay, should we do one last check?" Kyle asked us, going into total mission mode. Both Johnny and I nodded, so he continued. "Watches set at exactly 16:09?"

"If you mean 4:09, then check."

"Ear pieces working?"

I pressed mine into my ear to make sure I heard Kyle's words. "Roger that." I turned to Johnny, and he shot us a thumbs-up.

"Rope?" Johnny held it up with too much enthusiasm, it concerned me. "Matches?" Johnny held those up also.

"Wait- matches?" I confirmed, not sure if I heard them right.

"Emergencies," Kyle shook his head, as if telling me not to worry. "Now our main goal is to get Kathryn's letter, while keeping you alive. If possible, we need to keep this key too, because who knows what Mr. Grey intends to do with it. But it is not our main priority. Are we all clear?"

"Sir yes sir!" Johnny saluted him, and I just smiled in response.

"We are the Three Musketeers," Kyle assured me. "Together, we can do this."

I sure hope so.

***

I started my journey down to the beach alone. The only thing I could rely on was hope that Ethan and Johnny would make it there in time. I couldn't be seen with them, that was too risky. If one part of our plan was messed up, well, let's just say that there were a couple lives on the line at the moment.

Checking the small map I had drawn on my hand, I was in the right direction towards Alley's pointway. Looking furtively back and forth to make sure nobody else was around, I put one step forward into the woods.

There's no turning back now.

With a shaky breath, I put my other foot forward and told myself to keep walking. I could make out a small path that I kept following. My heart beat picked up rapidly, making it hard to hear anything else. This time I was putting myself into danger deliberately. This time it was my fault.