Part One ~ Chapter Eighteen

“I witnessed murder.”

-Amy

------------

Chapter Eighteen

Chasing after Matt as he took off into the woods, I wondered if we would make it on time to save Ethan. My heart pounded faster and faster at the thought of what me might actually find.

"Matt!" I yelled, as Julia, Andrew, and I panted after him. Johnny and Kyle followed suit, and Mrs. Grey was just left to stand there by herself. I didn’t know what to think about Andrew. Did I still hate him or not after he’d saved me?

"What if he's too late?" Julia whispered to me. "What if..."

"Don't tell him," I shook my head. "Let him have some hope. Ethan's strong, stronger than you would think."

Julia nodded. "I know, but Matt... He might be heartbroken."

I grimaced and kept on running. Dodging branches and jumping over tree roots that blocked the way, I couldn't even tell where we were going. But I sure hoped Matt did. Unless it meant finding Ethan's dead body, in which case I hoped he didn't.

I slowed down so that I was now beside Johnny. My heart was beating fast, but it wasn't from the sprinting. It was in anticipation to see what Mr. Grey had done.

"Hey little bro," I sighed, feeling a little better to finally see his face.

"Hi Amy," he said. "Will Ethan...?"

I shrugged, not having the heart to give him an answer. "Let's not thing about that, okay?"

Johnny nodded, but grabbed my arm as I ducked under a branch. I tool his hand and squeezed in assurance. But I wasn't sure if it was more to assure him or myself.

And then suddenly I heard a scream. Matt's.

“ETHAN!”

I stopped, halting Johnny along with me. I didn't know what we were about to see, and if Johnny were to see... Nevermind.

Julia glanced at me before stepping out to see what happened. I followed suit, my grip on Johnny's now very tight.

And there Ethan was. Sitting an staring at a... Either dead or very unconscious Mr. Grey. Matt was down on his knees next to Ethan, shaking him in agony.

"Ethan!" He pleaded. "Ethan, can you hear me!?"

But Ethan just stared at Mr. Grey, his face unmoving.

"Ethan, we need to leave!" Matt was starting to go hysterical.

"Matt..." I said warningly.

"He's alive!" Matt yelled, "He's alive, I know it!"

But still Ethan's face stayed still, staring as his eyes were glassy.

I went over to Matt, gently taking his arm off of Ethan. "You-"

"No!" He screamed and whipped his hand away. "Come on Ethan! Come on..." Matt fell from his knees to the ground. "Please."

As I watched Ethan stare at Mr. Grey in such a still way, shiver ran over my body. Matt was crying now, hysterical. Realizing I had to do something, I lifted Ethan up to his feet. Surprisingly, Ethan stood on his feet when I let go.

Matt looked up at me, and I gave him a hand off from the ground.

"We need to go!" Julia whispered.

"Ethan!" Both Kyle and Johnny went running over to Ethan to give him a hug. Ethan stayed still, not showing any feelings.

"Matt," I said. "Carry Ethan. We need to get out of here."