Part Three ~ Chapter Three

All this, of course, put us where we were now. Lost.

-Matt

____________

The perfect timing of the trip made it nearly impossible for me to walk away from this thinking it had nothing to do with Mr. Grey. He probably came up with the dates or something, or maybe picked the precise location in which he could easily do away with us all. It made me feel a little unnerved. Maybe more than a little.

All the same though, there probably wasn’t a way to get out of the trip. Even with Johnny’s wrist they would probably try to make us all go. And if they let Johnny stay behind, I wouldn’t want him left behind alone. Nobody would be able to keep a close eye on him to make sure a certain somebody didn’t do anything to him. I’m pretty sure Amy would agree with me for once when it was her brother’s safety in question. Either all of us would go or none of us would.

I, not for the first time, was lost on what we should do. I remembered Kathryn’s words that told us to be there exactly four weeks from the date of her death, and it left me a little puzzled. What did she expect us to do if something like this arose? Surely she would know that it was coming. She herself mentioned Mr. Grey would try something.

I suspect that she saw this coming but didn't want us to think that it was something we could blow off. My guess is that she only was so insistent about the whole 'four weeks' thing because she wanted to make sure we understood the gravity of the situation.

I don't think she realized that once we were kidnapped it hit us pretty hard. Mr. Grey was not part of my plan when I wanted to come to school here.

I definitely regret it. Making everyone come here, that is. I know it's why we are stuck in this mess. If I hadn't made them all come then Mr. Grey never would have done any of this. He wouldn't have even known Ethan or I existed. So much guilt lies on my shoulders for that.

I mulled over our limited options in my head. There must have been something we could do that I wasn't thinking of. All we had come up with was Johhny's wrist helping us get out of it or running off somehow. They had rules about participation though. Andrew said that they were always very big on making sure everyone showed up at school-wide activities.

We were stumped. Not going was not an option. I had thought it over for hours after we realized the clashing schedule. Nothing we came up with was ever a good enough plan.

Sitting in my cabin, the seven of us were alone brainstorming ideas. The amount of progress we had made was practically nonexistent.

If proof of this was needed, the fact that even Kyle was giving up hope should give people a clue how hopeless it was. Kyle was not one to give up, he liked to be the one solving the problems.

"I honestly don't think there is a solution guys, I'm sorry." Kyle stared down at the packet that lay untouched on the floor. "We were supposed to be in Fairview while we are going to be stuck up on a mountain instead. The teachers will force us to go, no doubt worried also about us trying to get out of it due to us being unhappy since the crash. They won't care what reason you give, they will think that we just aren't up to our usual selves because a lot has happened this year. They think this activity is going to solve everything."

Kyle, of course, was right. When wasn't he? All the teachers would think we wanted to skip because we were depressed from the crash like everyone else at camp. Their solution was this trip, so the chances of them letting us skip it were nil.

"We can't give up!" Amy cried. "We need to think up a solution, quickly! I will not give in like the rest of you! I refuse to believe that there is nothing we can do." I looked hopelessly at my best friend. What was I supposed to say, that it was okay because I had a plan all along? I wished that I could solve this, I really did, but I didn't see it happening any time soon.