Part Three ~ Chapter Fifteen

“That’s usually Matt’s job, even though he usually doesn’t believe that things are going positively.”

-Amy

------------

“Damn.”

            All of us traded wary looks, we all knew what this meant.

            “Dammit, dammit, dammit.” Kyle threw his face into his hands. “This is our fault. We gave Mr. Grey the key to the bottom of this cabin, we freaking handed it to him just for Kathryn’s letter!”

            “But without that letter, we wouldn’t have been able to get the gun,” Johnny pointed out.

            “Without that letter, we’d probably still be safe, because he wouldn’t have a key to right beneath us! Hell, he’s probably there right now listening to every word we’ve spoken and waiting for the right time to kill us. He’s here guys. He’s here.

            Those very words that came out of Kyle’s mouth send shivers up my spine. Somewhere in me I knew it was probably true. Mr. Grey had the key to that trap door, who was to say he wasn’t down there right now? It was obviously him who had taken our back packs to the cabin, him who had tried to sabotage each of our obstacles. Wishful thinking, that’s what it would be called if I even tried to hope he wasn’t down there.

            “Let’s all be rational here guys,” Matt said.

            “We are being rational,” I told Matt. “Kyle has a point.”

            “We shouldn’t jump to conclusions,” he said coldly. “I’ll go take a look down there.”

            “Now why the hell would you want to do that!?” I exclaimed. “Do you want to die? Dammit Matt, do you want to die!?!”

            “Keep your voice down,” Matt said in a calm voice. “I have a gun.”

            “You don’t know how to use that thing.”

            “Amy has a good point, Matt, you shouldn’t go down there.”

            “Guys, if I don’t clear your suspicions now, we’re never going to be able to sleep tonight.”

            “Because he’s going to kill us,” Julia whispers. Matt shoots her a look.

            “All of you guys need to chill out.”

            I knew that Matt had his decisions made, and it would be hard to change his mind. So I did the only thing I could do in this situation. “I’m coming with you.”

            “Amy-”

            “Two heads are better than one, right? Matt, either I’m coming with you or you don’t go at all. That’s final.”

            “Fine,” he sighed.

“I’m coming too,” Andrew decided.

“You stay here,” Matt told him. “Just in case…” He didn’t continue his sentence.

“Let’s just get this over with,” I told Matt.

He took the key out of the box and put it into the lock slowly. I could see his hand hesitantly linger longer than normal before he twisted it with a final jerk. The door opened with a small pop and the smell of musty wood rose up from below.