Part One ~ Chapter Eleven

“I was a spy, and my duty was to do good to the world.”
–Amy

------------

Chapter Eleven

Waking up on a Monday morning is like trying to swim in a pool without water. Impossible. Unless you have a very loud alarm clock further known as Kathryn.  And it's the type of handy alarm clock that decides it doesn't want to have a snooze button on it, no it wants to be obnoxiously loud.

"You guys are so lazy! Get your lazy butts out of bed!"

I think if Kathryn was entitled to swear at us, she gladly would without a problem. Thankfully she wasn't, or I would probably enroll myself into another school across the country just so she couldn't track me down.

"Amy? You awake?" Julia called over from her bed.

"Uhh hmm," I mumbled, pulling myself under the covers. "Five more minutes."

"No can do." She whipped the covers off my bed, and I was greeted with a blast of cold air. Geez, it was like a portal to Alaska.

"Jerk," I stuck out my tongue but reluctantly got myself up. The main reason I didn't want to get up was because that meant facing Mr. Grey on a Monday morning. Like Mr. Grey and Monday are not two words I wanted to be using in the same sentence, nevertheless the word morning. Aw shit, I had forgotten to do my math homework... Well I guess I knew what I was going to be doing instead of eating breakfast. Well, it was better than having to make awkward conversation with Andrew.

Thankfully, Mr. Ehway happened to be in this morning. If it were Mrs. Grey, I don't know what I would have done. By the time math class rolled around, I had learned just exactly how to make a successful water filter if ever stuck in the middle of the woods... and had cotton handy in my pocket. Survival class sort of reminded me of girl scouts. Learning all this random crap just in case we hitchhike into the wilderness like intelligent people would.

"Homework out, I assume?" Mr. Grey snapped as he strided in. "And your warm-ups are started?"

We all nodded, scrambling to finish solving the warm-up problems that I personally thought was just a jumble of numbers. I peeked over at Matt's paper, but saw he was just doodling things I'd rather not mention. Ew, boys.

"Ethan, how many times have I told you to put effort into your work?" Mr. Grey snatched Ethan's paper from his desk, ripping it in half. I watched in shock as Mr. Grey threw the two pieces back at him and moved on to Kyle.

"Great work," he muttered. "You too," he said to my brother. But in all honesty, I had seen Ethan spend so much time on his homework just to impress Mr. Ehway, but Johnny had rushed through it and Kyle was just very intelligent.

"This is a disgrace!” Mr. Grey sighed, looking at Matt's paper. "Must run in the family I guess." He ripped up Matt's paper too, but this time into a bunch of tiny pieces of paper and sprinkled it on top of Matt. Matt just sat there as the little white pieces landed on top of his head like a light snowfall.

I felt as if this was a daily ritual. Mr. Grey would rat out Ethan and Matt for not doing their homework and give them zeros each day. This man was starting to get very suspicious, but I couldn't really figure out why. Because I had been there on the first day of school and neither of them had done anything to offend him.

"I feel as if Kyle is the only one paying attention here," Mr. Grey sighed as he went over problems with the fifth graders. Julia and I were doing something I forget the name of, namely because she was doing all of the work while I copied her answers.

"Now I believe that is-"

"Shut up no one cares what you have to say," Mr. Grey rudely rolled his eyes at Kyle.