Part Three~Chapter Twenty One

“A terrible way for one to die, losing his dignity in the process.”

-MATT

___________

I was much too glad that Mr. Grey was dead. My head was just filled with a feeling of euphoria. I also felt guilty though. Not because Mr. Grey was dead though, definitely not, but guilty that Kyle and everyone else had to go through that because of me. I shouldn’t have gotten Julia, Amy, Johnny, and Ethan to come here with me. Everyone kept saying it wasn’t my fault, but in reality it so obviously was. If only…

But now Mr. Grey was dead, dead by his own trap. A terrible way for one to die, losing his dignity in the process.

Now we would all be able to live without fear piling up on our shoulders, or panic arising inside of us every time we saw Mr. Grey. We didn’t have anything left to be scared of, so we should have been happy. I don’t know why exactly, but none of us were. It was probably different reasons for each of us, although I’m sure a lot of it was due to all the things Mr. Grey had done to us and all the mind games he played. For me it was the guilt. The guilt that wouldn’t be going away anytime soon, no matter what anyone said.

***

                “Look, Matt, I know we’re all bummed and whatever about losing another person here, but you can’t always look like your mom just ran over your cat.”

                “It’s not that Tyler…” How could I explain things to Tyler without explaining them at all? Every time we hung out he always said something about how low I looked, but I couldn’t really tell him the reason. Like today, we currently are tossing around a football by the Lounge and Tyler just decides to bring this up?

                “He hated you! You don’t have to be cheering, but seriously man. Don’t be so down about it.” He sent the football sailing into my arms, and then held out his own arms to wait for my return pass.

                “Whatever. Can we talk about something else for once?”

                “Like how Charlotte still can’t shut the fuck up or take a clue?” Tyler raised his eyebrows at me. “She is annoying as hell. Do something to get rid of her. She keeps bugging me to bug you about you to getting back together.”

                I sighed in frustration. This all was true, that Charlotte wouldn’t leave me alone. I ignored her every time she even came near me, pretending she was nonexistent, and it wasn’t even getting the point across to her through her ignorant little mind.

                It was annoying as fuck.

                “Sorry Ty, I’m trying. She just can’t get over how perfect her reputation would be with a guy like me.” I winked at him, sending the ball his way. As I was about to let it go though, I was knocked to the ground by a hard force, making me toss the ball in a random direction.

                “Greg! What the hell?” I slowly stood up, dusting off my jeans from Greg’s tackle.

                “Just thought I would join in on your little football game. Gotta go though, I was only sent here by your friends Amy and Julia, they wanted you to, and I quote, ‘Check your fucking phone for once’. Didn’t seem urgent or anything though, Amy was just a little pissed off. Bye!”

                Pulling out my phone to see what their fuss was about, I didn’t realize the person stalking over to me until she was right in my face.

                “I believe you dropped this.”  A girl, now standing in front of me, let go of the football so that it landed at my feet. When my eyes met her face, I was a little shocked to find that it was the same girl that enjoyed ignoring my existence whenever I spoke to her. Her brown hair was piled up in a messy bun on top of her head and she had her cute, thick glasses resting on her nose. If she wasn’t so keen on overlooking me, then I would think she had an elusive sexiness to her. But since she insisted on being so rude I find her personality unappealing.