Chapter One

Chapter One:

Today was the first day of my junior year at my new school.  My stepfather and mother decided it would be best if I spent some time with my father in England for some time after my little stunt.  I guess getting high in a car is almost as bad as murder.  My mom had seen it coming, Ryan on the other hand, not so much.  

My mom talked to me about how it wasn't the best choice I had made, while my stepdad read me the riot act.  

"Bethany, I don't understand what is going on with you," he scolded.  "You are a straight A student and a good kid!  You don't do drugs!  What is going on?"

After not responding to any of his demands, he gave up and talked to my mother.  That's when they told me I was moving to England for some time. 

So now I'm in my father's car, listening to Def Leppard from my iPhone, and looking at my school uniform.  Black sweater, grey and black plaid skirt, grey knee-high socks, and black shoes.  I chose to wear my black Converses with the outfit today.  I look out of the window and see a car with a young mom in it go by.  I sigh and look back at my father.

Age was starting to catch up with him.  He had short spiky black hair, a goatee, ice blue eyes, and full lips.  His hair had been peppered with grey and his eyes had started to wrinkle.  Somehow at forty-five he had managed to keep his body, while my mother hadn't been so fortunate.  She had started to let herself go around forty-three.  

I turn my face away to look into the mirror in the visor.  My ice blue eyes looked like a younger version of my father's, as did my black hair.  My lips were equally as full and my nose was petite like my mother's.  Bottom line: I looked a significant amount like my father.  

"Are you ready for your first day at school?" my father asked.  I flipped the visor shut and looked at him.

"What was that?" I asked as I took my headphones off.

"I asked if you were ready for your first day at school," he replied.  

"Oh I'm just ecstatic.  I can't think of anything else in my life that can match up to the excitement I am feeling for today," I said sarcastically.  I looked back at my iPhone and put 'Love Bites' on loop.

"There's no reason to be a snark about it, I was only trying to make a conversation with you Darling." he said as we pulled into the school parking lot.  He dropped me off at the front of the school, kissed me on my forehead, and left me at my new prison.  

I walked through the door and saw all a blob of grey and black.  Everyone was piled together and chatting by their lockers.  I looked around for a sign that said "Principal's Office" for a few minutes when I decided to ask someone where it was.

"Excuse me," I asked a short brunette girl, "Could you show me to the principal's office?"

She turned around and looked at me.  She had dark brown hair, chocolate brown eyes rimmed with black eyeliner and mascara, and thin lips.  She smiled when she saw me.

"Oh!  You must be Bethany the new student!  I'm Mary Elise!  The headmaster's office is just down the left corridor, I'll show you."

Without another word, she shut her locker and drug me down the hallway.  

"So where are you from in America?" she asked excitedly.

"Um, Iowa.  I'm from a small town there," I say without enthusiasm.  This girl seemed nice and all, but she was like a squirrel: hyper and chittering all the time.

"Isn't Iowa in the middle of America?" she asked calming down a little bit. "I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a bit energetic.  I've just never met someone from America before"