Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine:

A month had passed since Harry told me he was a vampire and so much has changed since then.  We had started to take our relationship seriously and started to talk about our future together.  I found out more about the vampire Coven and some of the laws.  Some of the Family members in Harry's Family were rescued before the Elders found out their crime.  

Vampires are supposed to stay discreet.  They cannot show themselves to any human, unless they are turning them.  They cannot draw attention to themselves by going on a rampage or committing suicide in public.  Liam had broken the law when he went on a rampage after Zayn turned him.  Zayn had moved them from London to a small town in Cheshire.  That's where they currently resided.  

Harry had gone on a few rampages himself, but nothing as bad as Liam's.  The worst of Harry's was when he had just found out his grandparents had died.  He went to visit and found them dead.  He was so full of grief and anger that he went on a rampage through their town.  He only killed a few humans, but it was enough to make him go into hiding for a while.  

I had started to open up to Harry about Jaeson more since he opened up about his past to me.  I told him how Jaeson and I had met and how it evolved into the nightmare that landed me here.  

Jaeson and I had met when we were in Junior High School.  He was a new student to my school and was weird.  He had big glasses and still played Pokémon.  Jaeson was in my class, but a year older than me.  He was held back one year when he was in elementary school.  Jaeson was an outcast, but something about him made me want to be friends with him.

When I knew him in Junior High and our freshman year, Jaeson was the best friend I always wanted.  We had Nerf wars together and had the same interests.  We used to spend a lot of nights at his house studying and messing around.  We ended up dating after two years of friendship.  He ended up being my first kiss when I was fifteen.  

We were studying for an English final at his house one day when everything changed.  We were sitting on his bed and reveiwing The Odyssey and Romeo and Juliet.  He was reading Romeo's last words as he looked at me and recited them.

"Eyes, look your last.  Arms, take your last embrace.  And lips, oh you the doors of breath, seal with a rightous kiss.  A dateless bargain for an engrossing death."

After he said those last words, he kissed me.  I had my eyes wide open and pulled away.

"What are you doing, Jaeson?" I asked.  He smiled at me and did it again.  Once again, I pulled away and repeated my question.

"Bethany, I've had this crush on you since the first day we met.  I finally worked up the guts to kiss you and ask you out.  What do you say?  Will you be mine?"

I immediately said no because I only liked him as a friend.  He continued to ask me out repeatedly over the summer.  I actually started to develop feelings for him over the summer and when he finally asked, six months before the incident happened, I said yes.  

At first, Jaeson was the best boyfriend I could have asked for at the time.  He went out of his way to make me feel special and always showed up with roses when our anniversary showed up.  He would attach a note to the flowers, quoting a Shakespearean play.  He always read books with me and never objected when I said no to something, unless it was major.  We rarely fought and always made up afterwards.

Then came the month when everything turned to shit.  I had just gotten my tattoo and decided to show it to Jaeson, just to get his opinion.  He hated it.  He flew off the handle and started to scream at me, calling me a harlot and an idiot.  He grabbed my shoulders and shook me repeatedly as he screamed at me.