Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten:

I woke up with a cold sweat and breathing hard.  I sat up in my bed and laid my head in my knees and started to console myself.  It was just a dream, it was just a dream, I kept thinking over and over to myself.  Suddenly, my phone rang.  I whipped my head in it's direction and looked at the clock, 1:37 in the morning.  I picked up my iPhone to see who was calling and was slightly surprised to see Linsay calling.

"Hey, don't you know what time it is here in England?" I asked through the phone.  "Plus, this costs mon-"

"Bethany!  I wouldn't be calling you if it wasn't important!" she shouted through the phone.  I listened intently because I knew her well enough that if she was yelling like that, it was pretty serious.

"What's going on?" I asked.  I had to admit, she had me worried a bit.

"Jaeson.  He escaped from the mental hospital and he's coming after you," she said.  My stomach instantly dropped.  I felt sick to my stomach and felt all the color drain from my face.

"How do you know he is?  Plus he doesn't even know where I live in England," I said trying to keep my cool.  I had to admit, even if he didn't know where I lived I was still scared.

"He left a note.  He said that someone had told him where you lived and now he was going to come after you.  Everyone in the state of Iowa is looking for him, Bethany."

I set my phone down and laid back in my bed.  I felt as if I really was going to be sick.  The one person who I had finally started to forget about was coming after me.  I put my hand to my fore head and felt my skin become clammy.  I broke out in a cold sweat again and felt incredibly nauseous.  Linsay was going bat shit crazy on the other line.  

"Bethany!  Listen to me!" she shouted.  I picked up my phone agian and told her that I felt like I was going to be sick.

"You need to be ready if he gets to England before we catch him.  Jaeson is smart, scary smart.  You need to be ready."

I listened to her for the next ten minutes talk about me starting to prepare myself.  I really didn't listen because of my nausea and being light headed.  When she hung up, I ran into the bathroom and dry heaved.  I got up from the ground and flushed the toilet.  I closed the lid, sat down on it, and buried my face in my hands.  I started to cry again.  I wasn't ready to face Jaeson.  I wasn't ready to have to fight for my life again.

I gathered myself and stood up.  I was still light headed a little so I grabbed the counter of the sink for support.  I lifted my head up and looked at my reflection.  I saw the old Bethany again.  The Bethany that would have cowered and run from her problems.  The Bethany that would have died in the ditch and give up.  

A sudden rage built up inside me.  The Bethany I saw wasn't me.  That was the old me.  The Bethany who I was now was someone who would fight for who she was and what she believed in.  She fought for life when then one that swore to protect her, almost killed her.  She became a fighter, a lover, and a protector.  

I looked at my new tattoo and started to think the chorus of Until The End in my mind again.

Why give up?

Why give in?

It's not enough

It never is

So I will go on until the end.

I was a tiger who had earned her stripes and I wasn't going to have them taken away.  If Jaeson was coming for me, so be it.  He wouldn't see the Bethany he remembered me to be.  He would see the Bethany who wouldn't go down without a fight.