Chapter Six

Chapter Six:

The next day during school, Harry didn't show up.  I looked around the school after Anatomy for him, but found nothing.  I sat with Mary Elise in Calculus and started to catch up with her.  She had a lot going on in the last couple weeks and I wasn't there to help her.  She was a little standoffish when I started to talk to her about what happened, but she warmed up to me after a while.  She knew we were still close and good friends, she just needed some reinforcement.  

She had been having family issues that started when her uncle was put in the hospital, a mental hospital that is.  Apparently her uncle had a psychotic break and attacked her aunt.  Her aunt was okay, but it didn't settle well when he was taken to the hospital by her grandpa and other uncle.  Her aunt has been mad at them for doing it for the last couple weeks for putting him away.  The rest of the family keeps trying to tell her that putting him in the hospital will help him get better.

"She thinks that the attack on her was because he was drunk," she whispered.  I nodded and asked her if she was doing okay.  She shrugged and said she was making the best of it.  She tried to stay out of it and go on with her studies. 

It was nice to talk to Mary Elise again.  I didn't realize how much I missed her until today.  We talked about her family and how my relationship with Harry was going.  When I had lead up to Harry meeting Alec and Jailynn yesterday, I asked her why Harry was considered a backstabber.

"Well," she sighed.  "It's a long story"

She told me how Harry started to date a girl named Justice back when Mary Elise was a freshman.  Harry and Justice started to date for a month and a half when Harry dropped off the face of the earth for a few weeks.  Justice was in love with Harry and Harry knew it too, except he didn't feel the same about her.  Harry didn't text Justice or anything.  He didn't even write.  When he returned, he didn't pay Justice any heed.  She waited until lunch to talk to him and when she sat next to him, Harry flipped out on her.

He started to say that he never cared about her and that he only used to her to pass the time.  Justice couldn't believe what she was hearing and went home early because she couldn't stop crying.  When Justice returned the next day, she was dishoveled and looked like the ghost on The Grudge.  Her long dark hair was all in her face and she hardly looked up.  She didn't even look in Harry's direction.  

According to Mary Elise, Harry wasn't even phased.  He laughed with his "brother" Zayn that day about Justice.  Justice couldn't take it anymore and after school Justice pulled Harry aside and talked with him.  They talked for a good fifteen minutes before Justice left crying again.  Harry still wasn't phased.  Harry just walked back to Zayn and left.  Later that night, Justice was found dead.  Justice hung herself off of the railing on her apartment.  Justice's funeral was the next day and Harry had the guts to show up.

I looked at Mary Elise with wide eyes.  I couldn't believe that Harry had apparently done that to a poor girl.  The Harry I knew was a sweet and gentle person.  He hardly seemed like the kind of person to just date a girl and then hurt her like the way Justice was hurt.  

"I can't see Harry hurting a girl like that," I whispered.  I really couldn't.  I had been dating Harry for almost two and a half months, you'd think I'd know him pretty well by now.  If this story is true, how come he wouldn't tell me about it?

"Well, he did.   I don't know if he changed or not in the last couple of years, but he did indeed cause Justice's death.  I hope he knows that he has her blood on his hands." 

Mary Elise and I departed class on that note.  We didn't talk about Harry for the rest of the day.  I looked around at lunch for his brother Zayn.  Apparently he was the only brother to go to school here.  The other's had graduated.  I was biting into a mozzarella stick when Lydia jabbed me in the arm.  I looked up and gave her my "What the hell?" look.