Chapter Three

Chapter Three:

I woke up and repeated my daily morning routine.  When I returned to my bedroom to get dressed, I decided to look nice today.  I slipped into my school uniform and then sat in front of my vanity.  I did my basic retro cat eye and then moved on to my hair.  I decided to put it into a poofed ponytail and let my bangs hang down on the side.  When I was satisfied, I went downstairs and left for school.

I was dreading going to Anatomy.  I knew I had hurt Harry by completely ignoring him.  I entered the classroom and was a little relieved that he wasn't there.  I sat down in my seat and started to look into my anatomy textbook.  Chapter seven: The Nervous System, I read.  I took my notebook out and started taking notes throughout the chapter.  

As I tried to focus on taking notes, I couldn't help but think about last night.  My thoughts always ran back to his face when I left him.  The look of confusion and hurt on his face made my stomach twist with guilt.  I knew exactly how he felt, and I did it to him.  With that thought, my mind went back to the night things went wrong.  Stop it, B. Just accepted it happened and move on.

Three minutes before the bell rang, it was time to face him.  Harry walked in and sat down next to me.  He didn't even look at me.  I stared into my book feeling like the biggest bitch alive.  Thankfully Professor Jergins started his lecture.  I hoped it would distract me from Harry just a little bit, but it didn't.  

Ten minutes into the lecture is when I finally gave in.  I flipped to a blank sheet and started to write him a note.

I'm sorry about last night.

He looked at the paper with a reluctant sigh and then scribbled something back.

You could have at least texted me back or something.

I looked at him and saw he was being dead serious.  He didn't smile or do anything like he did yesterday or last night.  He just pointed at the paper, indicating he wanted me to write back.  I thought about what I was going to say.  I could have told him a white lie, saying that I didn't get it until this morning, or tell him the truth, that I wasn't interested in him that way.

I know, and I should've.  It wasn't anything you did Harry, it was me.  I'm not interested in getting in a relationship or anything like that right now.  Plus, I still don't know you that well.  I've only known you for two days.

He read the paper over and over again and then took a while to write out what he was thinking.  I watched him write with such grace, in fact everything about him was graceful.  He passed the paper back to me while looking at me in the eye, staring me down.  When I took the paper, he looked back at Professor Jergins to listen to the essay.

You could have just said that.  You didn't need to practically disappear afterwards.  I would understand.  I'm not like other guys Bethany.  I actually respect women and their feelings.  All you had to say was "I think we should just be friends."

I looked at him, he was still concentrating on the lecture.  I tapped his ankle with my foot to get his attention.  He looked at me and I mouthed "I'm sorry".  The stare that he gave me was only seconds, but felt like a lifetime.  For a second I saw the Harry that had glared at me two days ago.  For a second, I was afraid.  I was afraid of losing the friend I had gained for good.  

Finally he mouthed back two words:

It's okay.

As I sat in Art class, I thought about what I should draw for my homework.  We were assigned to draw something that symbolized something.  I had no clue what to draw.  I decided to play some music to see if I could channel something.  I listened to Mary Elise gab with another girl across the table as I put my iPhone on shuffle.  I took out my sketchbook and graphite pencils and listened to the lyrics.