"You don't have to trust me."

"You don't have to trust me." She came over to stand beside the bed. "You just have to do what I tell you to so that I don't fuck your life up and leave your girlfriend locked in that cage."

He tapped the metal ring around his neck. "Who's going to service you while I'm off getting this information?"

"I have someone in mind."

He watched her from the corner of his eyes.

She smirked as she held out her hand. "I realize that for you to do what I want, I have to let you go. It isn't like I can follow you around. Well, I could, but I don't have to in order to get what I want. Do we have a deal?"

He accepted her hand and shook.

*****

Mattie dropped herself onto one of the low steps of the library and crossed her legs, dangling one booted foot above the frost-covered step. The streets were humming with cars, shuttle vans and delivery trucks, but the sidewalks were mostly empty.

"Go ahead. I'll wait here," she said.

Hayden made a point of looking over her pale legs and tiny, short skirt. Her torso was hardly covered by the red strips of wool. If that wasn't enough to get her noticed, she also had on a black leather jacket. "You don't think you're going to attract some attention, sitting in the snow in a miniskirt?"

She made a show of zipping up her jacket then squinted against the sunshine to make eye contact with him. "In case you haven't figured it out, Hayden, I'm not the kind of person who can walk into the library unnoticed. At least out here, I can disappear if I need to. That isn't a possibility in there."

"Anybody lifts an eyebrow at you, tell them you're part of the comic convention."

She shook her head. "No thanks, pretending to be someone I'm not isn't my thing anymore. Just get those book, bring them to me."

Delivering the book was the first piece of their agreement, the easy part. Only after reading those would they know what to do next. It was the second part—the unknown—that worried him. He had no control over what that book did or didn't tell them. "I'll be back in a bit."

"I know." She looked away, turning away, pretending to be watching the traffic.

Last night the three of them, Mattie, Rachelle and him, had left the camp. He'd delivered Rachelle to her doorstep and Mattie insisted she spend the night with her—to make sure she recovered from the effects of the tea they'd been forced to drink. He'd been forced. Rachelle had been willing.

A long-haired guy was perched on a stool behind the counter and Hayden nodded at him as he rushed past and headed straight for the stack where he'd found the book.

It wasn't there. The two others that had been next to it were gone too.