"Don't make me wait."

"You took the others too, didn't you? The ones that were shelved next to it."

"I sure did. I know you smart types always come back. I was right. Here you are. Hope you're ready to pay up to get what you need."

Hayden let the fake expression go completely and reached for his wallet.

The other man took his arm, his fleshy fingers curled around Hayden's wrist. "No, not like that."

"What then?"

"I want what I missed." He tightened his grip. "The girl. In person."

Hayden yanked his arm back.

"I can't do her, 'cause I have a girl myself. I can watch, that's not cheating."

"You want to watch me fuck that girl?"

"Yep."

"You're serious?"

The man had the nerve to look insulted. "What's it to you? You used her to sell papers."

A mistake that never ended. "If I go get her now, and we do it, you'll give me all the books?"

"Now?" The guard smoothed his hair and straightened his blue uniform shirt. Then he rose up on tiptoe to look over the shelves. "She's with you?"

Hayden moved toward the stairs. "I can go get her."

"Meet me in Rabb Lecture Hall in seven minutes. It's in the basement." The man pulled out his phone and checked the time. "Don't make me wait."

* * * * *

Mattie was right where he'd left her, squatting on the step, scanning the traffic.

"Come on." He grabbed the collar of her leather jacket and pulled her up. "It's your turn to perform."

"I don't want to go in," she said, digging her feet into the snow then slipping on a patch of ice by the door. Once she found her footing, she shoved him. He grabbed her hand and pulled hard. She gave in and followed. Once they were on the stairs headed to the bottom floor, Hayden explained what they we about to do and why.

"Whatever, Hayden. Nothing surprises me anymore." She shrugged out of her jacket and thrust her shoulders back. Her nipples were stiff points beneath the red wool. "It's not like I haven't done this sort of thing before."

They reached the basement, found the door, went in. A stage was on the left and raised, stadium-style seating fill the area on the right. The only light in the large auditorium was a spotlight focused on the center of the stage.

The security guard's voice cut through the darkness. "On the stage. In the light."

"