Reason Number 27

I took the stars from our eyes,

And then I made a map.

And knew that somehow I could find my way back.

Then I heard your heart beating,

You were in the darkness too

So I stayed in the darkness with you.

-Dream and Wake: Shawn Thomas

"You're friends with Steph now?" Stan asked alternating his confused stare to Stephanie and me.

"I need to go with her okay?" What could have happened to Enzo? He is only eighteen!

"But Ann, what about..." he said stopping me.

"Later okay? That can wait." Plus, you made me wait for months a few hours won't hurt.

"Can you please tell me what the hell is going on?" he sounded mad, but I just dismissed him.

"I will, I have to see if Enzo is alright first!" We all rushed to the operating room and waited for the doctor to tell us what happened to Enzo, I paced restlessly in the corridor that I almost forgot that I am also wearing the same hospital gown that Enzo is wearing now. Then Stan walked towards me and stopped me in my tracks. "You really seem to care for that guy huh."

I didn't answer at first, "Yes, I do care about him." Nevertheless I should be honest to him; he'd done so much for me. He had given up so many just to be standing here in front of me, at least I owe him the truth.

"Why?" There's something in his voice that I couldn't tell, jealousy, pain, longing, and yearning? There's so much emotions implied in that one word that I can't quite pinpoint what it was. I found myself in defense onto what I should tell him, seeing how fast one attack can lead you to this frightening halls, how fast one life can end in just a tick of the clock. I need to tell him answers that can satisfy us both, so that I can assure myself that he wouldn't break into pieces when I'm gone.

"Because he made me whole the moment you left me broken into pieces." And to that he has no reply. Stan left when he realizes that he has nothing else left to say to me, I know it wasn't his fault that he left, I know that we talked long before that happened, but seeing myself for the past few months that he was gone is like seeing him a whole lot worse when he can't even reach me. The nurses are probably looking for me now, still I sat beside Enzo's bed, wide awake, afraid that if I'll close my eyes he'll never breathe again.

"What the hell Ann! We've been looking everywhere for you!" came in Cassidy's voice.

"Sorry, but can I please stay until he's awake? His cousin just left to get some clothes and his grandfather is out to buy him some foods. Please. I can only relax if I leave him wide awake." I pleaded to Cassidy.

She tried to protest, "I can't possibly harm him nor he can't pass me some unknown diseases either since we're both under strict isolation." She then gave up and walked out muttering on how much I'm going to owe her on this one. Little did Cassidy knew that when I was having chemotherapy and she's the only one there to take care of me, that moment, I swore that I owe her my life. Enzo stirred and I jolted up, his eyes flickered and then opened, I leaned my face closer to his so when he fully opened his eyes it's me he's going to see first.