STAND BY ME - chapter 01

That... that was the most exhausting mission ever.

Four years ago, on this day, I was recruited for the anbu, but never have I ever been this beat up from a mission. A month later, and I'm finally returning home.

Mission success, I thought to myself. My parents will be proud.

It's evening time, the sun slowly setting down. I'm walking up towards Konoha's gates, slightly bowing down out of respect towards Izumo and Kotetsu. They let me in.

The gates opened, walking in, I take a deep breath of air. I see families walking around with their children, laughing, eating, and enjoying their time. I see friends giggling and shinobi catching up with each other.

I sighed with relief, with a small smile plastered on my face. I love seeing everyone getting along. I immediately look down towards my hands.

So much dirt and blood. I need to get cleaned up as soon as possible.

"...Aya?! Aya, is that you?!"

I turned around. Great, just the person I needed to see.

"Hey, Naruto." I forced it out, I am just too tired right now.

"Aya! You're finally back!" He exclaimed, with his toothy smile.

"I sure as hell am. It's good to see you. How have you been?" I asked, genuinely curious. I like Naruto's ambitious nature, it just happens to be too much right now.

"I've been good. Training as usual. I'll let you get back home now. Stay safe!" He flashed me a thumbs up.

"Alright, I'll see ya."

I continued walking towards home. Is it bad that I love to be alone?

--- 30 MINUTES LATER ---

Finally. Why is home so far from Konoha's gates? I sighed.

I peer inside my home's windows. The lights are open and I hear soft chatter.
Guests must be inside. Shit, and here I am looking like this!

I panicked, hesitating to touch the door. Just do it, Aya. I quickly fixed my hair, pat my clothes, and turned the door knob.

I walk in to see a couple of shoes. I didn't recognize whose it was at first glance.

"Tadaima!" I say, trying my best to not sound exhausted.

"Aya, is that you? Okaeri! Come to the living space, we have some nice guests!" Mother calls out.

Nice guests? I wonder who it could be.

... she's finally back from her mission, what a hard working girl...

.. she must be so tired, staying away from home for a month...

... must have been a tiresome mission...

... it's good the village is keeping her busy, let her work!...

Those are some comments I heard as I walked my way through the house into the living space. One voice sounded very familiar - Mikoto Uchiha's voice.

I slowly slide the door open, and bow down. I look up and see none other than the Uchiha family.

Itachi immediately caught my attention. Out of the whole family, there is something striking about him. I bowed towards his direction, he tilted his head downwards slightly as well.

Eeeek!

"Aya! It's been so long!" Mikoto said, excited.
"I know, I know! But I promise a month is not too long.. compared to some of the work I've done more recently." I said, I paused for a second. "Excuse me, I look like a mess right now..." My head tilted downwards.