STAND BY ME - chapter 34

"Hinata?"

"Hm?" I turned around, and immediately recognized the head of blonde hair.

"Oi! Naruto, I'm not Hinata!" I held a fist up.

"Oh my god." He covered his mouth, "I'm sorry. You two look so similar from the back."

I sweat-dropped. "From the back, huh?"

"I'm sorry!" He waved his hands in the air.

"It's fine." I grabbed him and ruffled his hair. "You better be taking good care of my younger sister, ne?"

I stared at him, squinting my eyes.

"Y - yeah, I am. Don't you worry! Jeez..."

"What?""You and Hinata are complete opposites."

"So I've been told."

"Y'know, I can't help but think something about you looks different." He rubbed his chin, inspecting my face.

"What are you talking about?" I hoped he wouldn't catch on to my pregnancy, so I slowly backed away. "Gotta go now, Naruto. See ya!"

"Something's up with Aya." He muttered underneath his breath.

I walked throughout the streets of Konoha, mindlessly wondering, thinking of my serene time with Itachi. I couldn't help the forming smile on my face now.

"Aya?"

I bobbed my head the other way, only to see Fugaku.

"Otou-san." I dipped my head towards his direction. I noticed he was carrying groceries. "I can help you with those!"

"I am fine."

"Nonsense." I grabbed a couple bags from him, "I'll help. Are you heading back to the compound?"

"Yes, actually." He responded, his eyes now stared straight forward, walking.

Itach's father was an interesting case. He was strict like my own father, but he would soften up around me each time we conversed. I noted that this was just his way of gradually opening up.

"How are you and Itachi doing?" The elder man asked.

"Great." I smiled, "Actually, Itachi and I would like to spend the night, if that is okay?"

Fugaku's reaction had me surprised. His eyes were gentle now, a small smile on his face. "Of course. You are welcome."

My walk to the compound with Fugaku was rather silent - he was a reticent man, so much so that even though I was married to his own son, I was still unsure of how he felt towards me. I wanted to talk to him about this, and I wasn't sure if I'd ever get another chance to. Now was the time.

"Otou-san, do you mind if we can talk about something that's been pressing my mind?" I scratched my chin, slightly nervous now.

He looked down to me, his eyes had narrowed, but he nodded.

"Well..." I looked straight ahead, "I'm not sure how you feel about me."

"How I feel about you?" He repeated my sentence.

"Let me rephrase it." I looked up to him out of the corner of my eye. "I feel like I disappoint you." I said, truthfully.

A silence passed by that felt too long in my world.

"You disappoint me?" He scoffed.

"You're a talented shinobi; an heir no less. You burden a lot, I can tell, just like Itachi. And most remarkable to me, you had faith in my son after all those years he had spent away."