STAND BY ME - chapter 31

Itachi's eyes grew wide. He was surprised, and I couldn't blame him.

For some unexplainable reason, my heart began to thump loudly. Quickly. I felt exhilarated.

"You're... what?" Itachi said.

"I'm - well, the hospital, and Sakura - she told me that the test results were positive. Kayumi was with me. I wasn't alone when I went."

"Aya." Itachi gulped, "We are having a child."

"Yes, we are-"

His hand firmly tugged my wrist towards him, and he kissed me.

Our kiss was sweet, loving, longing. It was as if Itachi was trying to convey his emotions through our kiss, and indeed I felt them. I felt moved.

"I am at a loss for words." Itachi smiled, his hand cupping my face.

"This is my dream." I felt a tear escape from the corner of my eye. I couldn't help but become emotional.

"It is my dream as well." He said, the pad of his thumb wiping my tear away. Itachi was smiling wider now.

"I'm going to be a father." He said, sweetly. "This child... we will raise our child to the best of our ability." Itachi spoke.

"That goes without saying." I smiled, kissing his cheek.

Neither of us would fall asleep tonight. We were too excited. Instead, we remained in each others' arms, silently happy in the moonlight. We had decided we would tell our family the news once it became more obvious.

FLASHBACK.

"Father, what was that?" I clenched my pants. The image of the man suffering could not escape my mind.

"So, you witnessed the branding of the Hyuga cursemark." My father sternly spoke.

So, that's what it was.

"Yes." I mumbled.

"Curse Mark: Caged Bird, is the name of the technique." Hiashi spoke, staring off into the distance. "A curse mark that is casted upon the side branch members of the Hyuga. It serves to protect the main branch, and most importantly, the Byakugan's secrets."

I looked at my father, confused. Why did the innocent man have to go through excruciating pain, just to protect me? My family? If I am the next heir, shouldn't I be powerful enough to protect my clan members from such pain? Then I realized, I had come to my resolve - I needed to become stronger so that I could protect everyone from pain. This main family, whatever this mumbo jumbo nonsense was, I just could not understand. My brows furrowed, I pressed my lips together.

"Do not be upset. This is their destiny. This is your destiny. Your destiny to live as the successor of this clan." My father stared at me.

To protect the Hyuga? No, I wanted to change the Hyuga. This incessant need to perpetuate who was the main family and who belonged to the lesser branches, was just unfair. Every time my father spoke about the clan, it only fuelled this fiery desire to eradicate this hierarchy.

I needed to become strong enough so that I could protect my clan. That is my destiny.

"I've read about the curse mark in some of the books in the living room." I confessed.

"An observant child you've always been." My father spoke, his hand now resting on my shoulder. "Tomorrow is your first day at the academy. You have a bright future ahead of you, I can tell. I will be attending the entrance ceremony."