STAND BY ME - chapter 26

"She was deeply upset by your absence at first, I won't lie, Itachi." Shisui said, sitting beside his friend on the grass, "But you can't blame her. Anyway, I've protected her just like you've asked."

"Thank you for that." Itachi looked at his friend, "No one else would have waited like she has. I knew she would have faith in me."

"Well, you got that right." Shisui pat Itachi on his back, "Congratulations on the proposal. I'm proud of you."

"Ah."

"Now you've just got to let Hiashi-sama and Fugaku-sama know." Shisui said, teasing Itachi. Shisui knew Itachi was somewhat intimidated by the thought of Aya's father.

"That's the first thing I'll do this morning."

---

"Hiashi-sama." Itachi sat before my father, and I was by his side.

"I understand you've just returned from a long-term mission, yes?" Hiashi said, strictness in his voice, arms crossed. Itachi nodded.

"I'll have you know, my daughter argued for you passionately every time someone dare beseech the integrity that is your name, because that is the kind of person my precious daughter is." Hiashi added. I gulped, because not only was it true, but I was beginning to get nervous. Itachi's eyes lowered.

"I'm aware." Itachi bowed, both his hands sprawled onto the matt, "Please find it in you to forgive me. I have come here to ask you one thing."

"Oh? And that is?"
"Your daughter's hand in marriage."

Hiashi's expression turned from stern and upright scary, to being surprised and slightly shocked. The next few minutes were painfully silent. I looked at my father and was hoping he would come to some kind of resolve, to say yes, because my family knew how much I had loved this man beside me.

"Knowing you, and my daughter, both of you must have come to this conclusion after careful thought. Very well then, you have my blessings." My father said, swiftly. My eyes widened, and a smile cracked.

"I'm honoured." Itachi bowed, "Now, I must inform my father. Aya and I will get going."

"You've informed me before you've informed your own father?" Hiashi asked, he seemed rather calm now.

"Yes. It's more important to me that Aya and her family is comfortable." Itachi answered. I glanced at Itachi, a light blush on my cheeks. How thoughtful he is.

My father closed his eyes and a small smile appeared on his face. "I understand. Now, get going."

Both Itachi and I left my father's room and head to Fugaku's house.

---

"Is this too much?" I said, playing with the hem of my off-white kimono.
"It's just fine." Itachi smiled.
"I haven't seen your parents in a while, so I want to make a lasting impression." I said, dreamily looking at the sky. I was finally going to be with the man I love the most.

---

"Fugaku-san, Mikoto-san." I bowed, acknowledging Itachi's parents, who were sitting before Itachi and I.