STAND BY ME - chapter 20

A year had passed by since that mission with Kayumi. Itachi and I only grew closer and closer to each other, each passing day.

"I'm just not strong enough." I aggressively flung a couple of kunai towards the board hung up against the tree.

Itachi was watching me, I could tell he was somewhat entertained by my anger at the moment. I had let my teammate die - something I told myself I'd never let happen before.

"Shinobi die. This is just reality." Itachi said. Though his nature was blunt, I could tell he was just trying to comfort me, and he had been doing a good job lately, but I just couldn't deal with it. The fact is, my comrade died because of my lack of power.

"I let a comrade die. Everyone's disappointed in me." I sat beside Itachi on the ground, my head dangled downwards. "I'm a horrible person. What do you even find mildly attractive about me?" I pouted. I couldn't help think that someone so talented, a prodigy, was stuck with someone like me.

Itachi sighed. "You're being too harsh on yourself." He softly smiled.

My eyes drooped towards the ground. I guess it was true.

---

"Here, I want you to keep this with you." Itachi leaned in towards me, and pulled out a silver chain from his pocket.

"Itachi -"
"Shh." He whispered in my ear, as he fastened the necklace around my neck. I looked at it, and I smiled. 

"Our clan symbols," Itachi said, looking at me, "A representation of our clans becoming united."

"I'll keep this close to me, always," I said, admiring the pendent, "So when you're not here, Itachi, a piece of you is with me." 

"Exactly." 
"And you have those photographs to remember me by." I grinned. 
"You're right about that." He chuckled. 

---

"Itachi's going to be gone for a while this time..." I mumbled.

"I'm sure he'll be fine." Kayumi said. "Why are you down? You're usually okay if he's out."

"I'll be okay." I said, standing upright, "But it's just so sudden, y'know? I can't help but feel like something's been off with Itachi lately."

"How so?" Kayumi looked at me curiously, pulling the grass out the ground. 

"Every time we talk, he seems like there's something else clouding his mind..."

"I get what you mean. Shisui acts that way too sometimes..."

"Hey." An idea popped up inside of my head, "You're Uchiha. Shisui mentioned that there were some clan troubles a while back, how's that working out?"

Kayumi's eyes widened, and then she grinned that signature grin of hers. "Everything's okay!" She crossed her arms, "Any idea how long Itachi's gonna take?" She quickly changed the subject.

"Months." I muttered, picking at my nails.

"Jeez," Kayumi's eyebrows furrowed, "Have you two ever been apart from each other for that long?"

I nodded. "Yeah, before we started... you know, dating." Kayumi nodded.

"You'll be okay!" She slung an arm around my neck, "You have Shisui and I!" I gleamed a smile. She was right. I could manage to not see Itachi for a couple of months.

---

"So, this mission's gonna take you a while, huh?" I anxiously waited near the village's gates. I didn't want him to leave.
"Yes." Itachi said.
"Take this with you." I handed him a bag of his favourite treat.

"Dango?" He guessed.
"Dango." I replied, nodding. Moments of silence passed by between us.

"While I'm gone, promise me that you won't beat yourself up for your comrade's sake?" Itachi asked.

I looked down to the ground, a sad smile on my face. "I promise you, Itachi."

"Earlier ago, when you asked me what I found attractive about you." Itachi spoke, my eyes were on his.

"Oh?" My eyes looked up to his. "That. I was just..." My gaze shifted to the side.

"Your struggle is part of what makes you beautiful. You don't see what I see. You don't see the good person that I know you are." Itachi leans in towards me, tucking strands of my hair behind my ear, "I know how I feel, and I just wanted you to know. I've been holding it in for too long..." Itachi's expression was soft, and it drew me towards him naturally, "I love you."

My heart began to pound at the sound of those three words. Itachi had just said it, those words that I've been yearning to hear from him for so long. Those words that made me want to raise my fists in the air, explode and shout it to the world. It was a shame it had to happen now, I thought, when Itachi would be gone for Kami knows how long.

"Itachi," My eyes felt warm, my throat was clenching, "I love you too." A tear streamed down my face. Itachi's thumb grazed my cheek, wiping it away.
"I don't like seeing you cry." He smiled, "Promise me one more thing."

I looked at him eagerly, wanting him to continue.
"Wait for me to get back." Itachi said.

I wiped my eyes, smiling. "That goes without saying. You know I'll be here waiting for you."
"This..." Itachi's eyes shifted to the side, "Is going to be difficult. I hate to leave you like this."

Itachi held my wrist, and planted his lips onto mine. He held me close, my body melted onto his. Our kiss was soft, longing, as if we'd never get the chance to kiss again. Our lips parted, our eyes meeting each other. Shortly, my chest felt hollow. I was dreading the inevitable goodbye.

"So, Itachi..." I said, a light blush on my cheeks, "I guess this is goodbye..."

"Don't give me that look," Itachi chuckled, a smile on his face, "Goodbye, for now."

I waved goodbye to Itachi as he began to walk. I stood there for what seemed like an eternity, until his back had faded away.

---

Unknown to Aya, Itachi was crying as he walked, his hand gripping onto the paper bag filled with dango.