STAND BY ME - chapter 07

It had been three days since then.

Today, I finally escaped. I fought my way through Kabuto, and made it barely through Orochimaru, but I got out. I made it out of the cave. Barely alive. I managed to collect the scroll, and confirmed its contents.

I was leaning against a tree, which at this moment, felt as if it was piercing through my back.

I groaned, wincing in pain. I applied pressure to my gaping wound on my torso. My hands were soaked in hot, crimson blood.

Where are my friends?
I need them now more than ever.

I ripped my sleeves off and tied them around my torso as tight as I could, to prevent more blood from spilling. My mind was becoming hazy, my mind and soul slipping between states of consciousness. 

No way. I'm not going to end here.

Placing my hand over the wound, with the help of the tree's support, I gathered myself to stand upright, slowly. I kept walking, limping, splashing water onto my face to help keep me going.

I am going to make it.

--- RETRIEVAL TEAM ---

"Will Shisui and Kayumi be okay, fighting those rogue ninja on their own?" Kenzo asked, curiously. Shisui and Kayumi came across an ambush attack.

"They'll wrap it up quickly." Itachi stated, "Kenzo. Keep your byakugan activated. We should be close."

"Hai, captain."
Byakugan.

"I'll be damned," Kenzo said, smirking, "I see her, she's not too far."
"I can sense her chakra, too," Itachi said, impatiently, "Let's make this quick."

"Itachi, before you go," Kenzo glanced at his captain, concerned, "There are intruders ahead us."

Itachi frowned, "They're making this difficult for us. I'll go ahead, I trust you to take care of them."

Kenzo nodded, and Itachi sped ahead.

--- MOMENTS LATER ---

I could hear footsteps ruffling not too far from where I was standing. I kept walking, and walking, as far as my legs could take me. I kept coughing, blood spilling from my mouth.

I didn't know what wounds to cover, what wounds to keep pressure on. Blood kept leaking from me, my ripped sleeves becoming soaked and useless. For the first time in my life, I genuinely felt like this was it. I couldn't even muster up the energy to activate my Byakugan.

My legs were becoming numb, I fell down on my knees, breathing heavily, wheezing and coughing. My eyes were becoming heavy, but I resisted this by pinching myself.

C'mon, Aya. Get it together.

The footsteps came closer, I forced myself to lift my head up and look.

My face lit up with relief. It was Itachi, but he didn't look too happy.

"Aya," Itachi rushed towards me, and pulled out a thick cloth, "I need you to lay down."

I nodded and did as he said. I felt my body becoming cold, and in search of some kind of warmth, I held onto his hand. Itachi looked at my hand and then towards me, his face covered in guilt.

"Tsunade should have sent me with you." Itachi expressed, almost angry.
"I-"
"Don't speak."
I coughed.

Itachi removed the ripped sleeves I had wrapped around my torso, and replaced it with his cloth.