STAND BY ME - chapter 32

"How did you know I was the heiress to the Hyuga?" My question was awkward, but I was desperately trying to make some kind of conversation with the legendary Uchiha. I was sure he could sense this too. I looked ahead only to find a sea of raven-haired humans at the party; or rather a social event held by Mikoto who wanted to commemorate her sons becoming married. I wanted to be with Itachi, but this was a chance to network. Sasuke was within his group of friends - Naruto, Sakura, who now was his wife, and the rest of the renowned Rookie 9.

But still, I wanted to make an effort to familiarize myself with Madara - politically and on a friendly basis. It was my job to. But, at the same time, I would be lying to myself if I said I was not scared of this man. Madara's aura, and the way he carries himself, was just plain intimidating.

"You've never seen me before. I don't think it's too obvious. People are actually stunned when I tell them I'm married to Itachi. I'm very average, I like to think."

"Average is an understatement." He said bluntly. What?

Madara looked ahead, then to me, continuing to speak to me only sideways. "You look like the matriarch of the Hyuga."

His comment was rather abrupt, my eyebrows raised. "Oh - well, thank you, Madara-sama." I tipped my head downwards in acknowledgment of his compliment. I would take it nothing more than that.

"I guess you've made an appearance here on the basis that you are doing business in Konoha. Is Hashirama-sama also here?" I asked curiously.

"Hashirama has requested to have his whereabouts unknown." He answered.

I looked down to the ground almost sadly - it was one of my goals to have a chance to meet him. An inspirational and an all-around shinobi.

"I guess another time will do." I smiled.

A month later and I had felt some of the effects of pregnancy.

I sighed. I was annoyed now.

"Itachi. I can leave." I packed my things. "I'm pregnant, but I'm no invalid."

"You are going to stress yourself." Itachi was becoming annoyed now, too, I could tell by the way his stare was narrowed.

"Itachi." I firmly said his name. "Please!" I approached the door now. "I need to go on a mission. I am bored." It was the truth. Day in and out, all I became familiar with were the walls of this house.

"You're willing to risk the health of our child because you're bored?" Itachi had a way with making me sound stupid. I heaved an irritated sigh.

"I'm going." I slipped my shoes on.

"Just - wait. I'll come with you."

I threw my head back impatiently, groaning. I just wanted to go out, smell some fresh air. "A fair negotiation. I'll be waiting outside." I told him.

"You're really stubborn, you know that?" Itachi chuckled.
"Says you!" I pointed a finger.

"Hm. What are the mission details?"
"It's very simple. Hand this scroll of forbidden jutsu to the Mizukage."

"That'll make quite a trip." Itachi said.
"It will." We continued to walk outside of the Leaf's gates, "But I need this, Itachi. Just a change of scenery."

"I understand." His hand rested on my back, "If something should happen, you will do nothing. I'll protect you."

I looked up to him. So manly, Itachi, I squealed internally.