STAND BY ME - chapter 04

It had been two days since I left the village, and still no sign of Orochimaru, though I had received intel on where he was residing.

I read the mission details over and over, almost shocked at how Orochimaru was able to possess The Scroll.
But then again, he is a snake. He'll always find his way through.
I fondly remember encountering him a couple of times during the Academy, and always had a bad feeling about him as a child.
Look at him now, rogue and in too deep. Can someone like him ever be saved?

I was way past Konoha, past deep into the forest, where I took shelter in a small village.

This wasn't an Anbu mission, so I was not too worried. Yet. I was careful to subdue my chakra so that I would not be noticed by other shinobi.

Walking, I hear my stomach grumble loudly. Instinctively, I covered my stomach with my hand, almost embarrassed at how loud it was. I look up ahead and hear a kid laugh.

"You should eat!!" She exclaimed, pointing at a restaurant. I walk towards it.

"Heheh, thanks, kiddo." I smiled back.

Inside of the restaurant seemed rather basic, but very spacious. I sat down near the back of the restaurant. Not a lot of people were inside. The waitress noticed me from afar, walking towards me excitedly.

"Hello! Welcome to Tsuki's Inn. What may I get you?" The cheeky girl exclaimed. I read her name tag. Nao.

"Hi, may I get a plate of tsukemen, with some tea please?" I said, my stomach rumbling.

"Of course," Nao, said, scribbling down my order, "I'll be back with your food!"

--- MOMENTS LATER ---

The steaming plate of tsukemen was in front of me, and I was just about ready to devour it, but one thing kept crossing my mind. My encounter with Itachi.

I was well aware that rumours and gossip spread like wildfire in the village, so this must have been Itachi's way of denying anything going on between Izumi and him. Part of me felt relief, and another part of me felt disgusting by feeling relieved.

Why does the thought of Izumi being around Itachi infuriate me? Sure, I am fond of both of them, but for some reason, I just can't stand it.

I clenched my chopsticks, I started eating, the warmth of the food almost rejuvenating my body. Goodness gracious. I love this so much. I sipped my tea every now and then.

I wonder what he's doing right now.

If Itachi denied the accusations, then how come Izumi and Itachi seem so close? Maybe he's helping her train or something of the sort? They are both Uchiha.

Another thought came to mind. Itachi seemed so pressed about being on time for Shisui's wedding. Why? He'll probably go with Izumi. Which brought up another new thought.

God. I need to find a plus one. I heaved out a sigh.

Part of me wished Itachi would know how I feel about him. He was kind, selfless, placed his family's needs over his, talented, and exceptional in every field there is out there. A real gentleman. Itachi is almost too perfect. Not to mention his looks, typical of any Uchiha to be drop-dead stunning. But at the same time, I couldn't help but chuckle at the thought of two heirs to the village's most important clans, being him and I, ending up with each other. It just seemed too typical.

Sometimes you're just attracted to things you know you can't have.

I always manage to overthink things. I'll just let it be.

My thinking snapped right back to Orochimaru. As soon as I finish my meal, I planned on venturing to his apparent hideout, scope out the area, and see if I can sneak my way in.

This is going to be incredibly risky. Just think like your enemy.

I felt my heart rate plummet. My head smashed onto the table.